content

content

content

content

content

A familiar lathe.
content

content

One of my favorite parts of the article which has to do with the Gage Warner & Whitney planer (first picture)
content

content

Attachments

• Hope Iron Foundry, Prov., RI. 1.jpg
    Hope Iron Foundry, Prov., RI. 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Hope Iron Foundry, Prov., RI. 2.jpg
    Hope Iron Foundry, Prov., RI. 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 210
The planer in Figs. 5 & 6 is not a New Haven Manufacturing Co. planer.
It is a New Haven made planer.
It is either a L. E. Osborn & Co., New Haven, or the earlier Parmele, Mix & Co.,New Haven,(which I believe Osborn took over).

Rob

Attachments

• Osborn 1865.jpg
    Osborn 1865.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Osborn 7.jpg
    Osborn 7.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Osborn 9.jpg
    Osborn 9.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3292.jpg
    IMG_3292.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 208
I had recognized the hope mill. I was browsing on another forum a while ago. Those were shown by someone who purchased one at auction that was formally part of the Henry Ford Collection if I recall?

That planer didn't fit the New Haven look I was unsure if it was an early design. Quite an Ornate planer.

The Gage Warner Whitney planer keeps with John H Gage's early design 1837-1843 when his shop burned as he formed a partnership with Warner and Whitney in 1851.
deliveryService

I had recognized the hope mill. I was browsing on another forum a while ago. Those were shown by someone who purchased one at auction that was formally part of the Henry Ford Collection if I recall?

The picture I posted(the single view of the mill) I took in 1983 at the Ford auction.
I tried to get it but was outbid by Bob Johnson. He was getting it for a collector in Florida. At least that is what he told me.

Rob

I had seen it here. Looks like it's in Maine as of this last year. Hope Iron Foundry Providence, RI - Old Woodworking Machines

The owner appears to be Charles Chiarchiaro. You will soon see it as he flips it on his Techantiques Web Site. Technology

Not to critique. People (and attitudes) like Mr. Chiarchiaro are a necessary adjunct to free enterprise.

Joe in NH

Last edited:
I had never came across that website before. Interesting collection of steam. I personally dislike sites that don't post a price. I'm not going to waste someone's time to inquire over items to find out they are 10X higher than I would ever pay.

Back