What's new
What's new

American Machinist magazine archives

gjrepesh

Cast Iron
I am having a difficult time finding American Machinist magazine archives. Interested in the time period between 1935 and 1950. Is anyone aware of a library or other source?

Your local, public library should be able to find them for you. But it may take some time.

I am having a difficult time finding American Machinist magazine archives. Interested in the time period between 1935 and 1950. Is anyone aware of a library or other source?

NC State University* in Raleigh has the entire collection, back to issue no. 1 published in 1877 on microfiche.

At least they did back in the early 1990's when I lived there and did some research. Someone at the American Precision Museum in VT should know if you can buy DVD's of the older issues these days (since microfiche may be obsolete by now)

=========================================================

*If you don't know already, NC State is NC's largest technical oriented university, with degrees in engineering, architecture, etc. Which means, think in terms of not just any university, but one that is engineering inclined.

I see that American Machinist is still publishing .
I think for the years that are on line on the Hathi Trust and archive.org site the copyright has expired but the years you are looking for are probably still protected so they may not be available for free on line .
If you can’t get them through a Library you could try contacting the magazine and see what they suggest.
Some of the Railway magazines such as Trains are now available on DVD
7 Years of Trains Magazine on DVD-ROM - Kalmbach Hobby Store
Maybe American Machinist would offer that type of thing also .
American Machinist
You might also find some used print copies on ebay
Here is another site I tried
Formats and Editions of American machinist. [WorldCat.org]
If you are lucky in your search you may find a library near you where they have some .
American machinist. (Journal, magazine, 1951) [WorldCat.org]

Not the years you are looking for but I found this is on ebay
American Machinist {13 Volumes, 1916-1923} Magazine on DVD | eBay
Seller appears to have DVDs of other old books and magazines but maybe many of them are available on archive.org or elsewhere on line.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=wotojo&rt=nc
Regards,
Jim

They atarted as internet archive but their goal is:
About the Internet Archive
The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit library. Founded in 1996, our mission is to provide Universal Access to All Knowledge. We collect published works and make them available in digital formats. We are building a public library that can serve anyone in the world with access to the Internet.

the engineering library at the U of A has all the copies in leather bound books. They had all the issues from the first till the latest. I had a big break between classes and would sit and pour over them everyday. I think I read a hundred years worth in the 7 years I spent in college.

It looks like I would like to see vol. 81 which if I did the calculation correct is jul thru dec 1934. I can't find this volume on the net so I will try the libraries. Appreciate all the input.

Back