What's new
What's new

American Tool Works lathe info?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
This turned up on the sorta-local CL:

Metal lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Pics seem to show its in good unrestored condition. Looks to be a small spindle bore, can't find much on these- were they quality iron, maybe worthy of some time and elbow grease (natch, the cheesy motor will go away...)

Plate says "The American Lathe", maybe that is the model? Guessing early 1900,'s? Is this worth a look see for a project to be a serviceable lathe?

Maybe I've been watching too much Keith Tucker...

This turned up on the sorta-local CL:

Maybe I've been watching too much Keith Tucker...

Looks pretty good from this distance.

Inside and out of the weather. Its apparent this one is a "user." Plug & Play (as these things go) Probably a full complement of tooling. And this being Florida, I'll bet his shop is air-conditioned - the lathe shows this good keeping (flash rust is a fact of life in Florida.)

2HP treadmill motor might be a bit small - although the variable speed might be a nice convenience. You might bog down on the heaviest 10 percent of your cuts - but 90 percent of your work it will be fine.

Probably a 10 ft bed - this I would call a minus - but your space capability might allow and you WILL find a job which will require the full size between centers.

If an 8' bed - then this is pretty standard fare for this sort of thing. A bit hard to find the diameter in a shorter lathe of this vintage.

5 steps on the cone pulley would put this in the 1890 to 1910 range.

Were I to buy it, I would have the owner chuck something up and take a few cuts while you watch. You will see any chatter from a bad bearing quickly - although this can usually be adjusted out on this sort of lathe. It will give you a reason for "negotiation."

In fact, if you're interested, offer him like $750 - or possibly even lower depending on how much Keith Rucker you have in you. keith rucker - YouTube

Still, looks like a lathe needful of a new owner - and new use.

Joe in NH

Back