What's new
What's new

ancient hendey lathe ID

mowermanadam

Plastic
I just got this old hendey lathe to add to my job shop, it's from my late grandfather's shop and i can't for the life of me I'D it, the serial number on the end of the bed is 4572. It has the hand crank tailstock and the carriage is exactly like the 24x8 model Any help would be awesome , it was my grandads favorite machine so if like to know more about its history.

20170917_105335.jpg20170917_105331.jpg20170917_105325.jpg

I just got this old hendey lathe to add to my job shop, it's from my late grandfather's shop and i can't for the life of me I'D it, the serial number on the end of the bed is 4572. It has the hand crank tailstock and the carriage is exactly like the 24x8 model Any help would be awesome , it was my grandads favorite machine so if like to know more about its history.

ID it without a photo? Do you think the Amazing Kreskin posts here?

Courtesy of the Amazing Kreskin:

Headstock.jpgCarriage.jpgTailstock.jpg
This is a 10" from the same period. Perhaps the tailstock is different for the smaller lathe.
1901 Hendy-Norton~.jpg

Here is a photo of the assembly area.
Assembly Floor~.jpg
John :)

Last edited:
Biggie - and raised to boot. They made them up to 32" swing

Its well over 100 years old - no tie bar from front to rear spindle bearings, and missing the compound or range gearbox (to left of QC gearbox) which they did not have at first

Thumbnail shows a little later 24" cone showing off Compound Gearbox, tie bar and Relieving Attachment

Easy to nail 24 and 32 aprons - long feed clutch knob NOT in carriage handwheel

Attachments

• 24 Hendey Cone.jpg
    24 Hendey Cone.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 127
mowermanadam:

Hendey lathe #4572, a 24 x 8 Cone Head model, was built on July 24, 1901 and was shipped with a Taper Attachment. The original owner was
W.H. Folhurst & Son, Troy, New York. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all
of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. The Spindle through hole is 2-1/8 inches, the Centers
are a Morse Taper# 4-1/2 and the Spindle Bushing is a Morse Taper#6. The Spindle Bearings, on a 24 inch Hendey during this period, were
straight, not Taper. Basic weight with Taper Attachment was 4310lbs.

many many thanks for the info, quit a journey it must have taken from new york to here is Washington. now im on the look out for the rest of the taper attachment as mines missing most of it. Im sure there super common and plentiful.....

A good thing to do would be to order the TA component drawings from Hendeyman for that serial

many many thanks for the info, quit a journey it must have taken from new york to here is Washington. now im on the look out for the rest of the taper attachment as mines missing most of it. Im sure there super common and plentiful.....

Back