What's new
What's new

Another Carroll Jamieson Lathe going into Home Shop

devodave

Plastic
First time post here, but I have using this form for research for some time. I have just acquired a 16" x 8' Carroll Jamieson GH Lathe and will undoubtedly be looking for info as I delve into its use and setup. Restoration may be in the future, but for now it may work well without it.

From some of the CJ bulletins I have found online, it appears to be a Geared Head Engine Lathe, 1956 vintage. It does have what appears to be original oil pan/chip tray with an integrated coolant pump, as well as a LO spindle. The right hand leg is the enclosed cabinet type. It appears that this level of lathe became the Master Turn a few years later. Lantern tool post and 3-jaw chuck were the only included tooling. I do not have access to 3-phase power, so will be incorporating a VFD to handle the electrical need. Will need to get a 4 jaw in the future, as well as a modern tool post and tailstock live center. Seems like the more expensive lathes with included tooling may be a better deal after all!

The serial number is 5637. I have searched for the Serial Number Reference Book to no avail, so I have not been able to glean any other details. If anyone with access to the reference book could provide additional details, that would be great. I will post photos soon!

This lathe was purchased primarily to assist in an automotive restoration project, so I plan on turning some tapered material. Many ways to skin a cat, but would like to utilize a taper attachment to do so. I have not seen any for sale and would consider myself extremely lucky if I ever found one, so I may look into fabricating my own. Would like to see if another member who has one would be willing to provide dimensions (these would need to be very extensive!).

I have noted that there is a Yahoo group for Carroll Jamieson lathes, but I have not had success signing up for it so far.

That's all for now. I look forward to your replies.

Welcome Dave. Can you post pictures of your lathe? I have a 1938 16" x 60".
It has a threaded spindle and looks like an old lathe. I've never seen a more modern version with a L0 spindle.
What kind of car are you restoring?

First time post here, but I have using this form for research for some time. I have just acquired a 16" x 8' Carroll Jamieson GH Lathe and will undoubtedly be looking for info as I delve into its use and setup. Restoration may be in the future, but for now it may work well without it.

From some of the CJ bulletins I have found online, it appears to be a Geared Head Engine Lathe, 1956 vintage. It does have what appears to be original oil pan/chip tray with an integrated coolant pump, as well as a LO spindle. The right hand leg is the enclosed cabinet type. It appears that this level of lathe became the Master Turn a few years later. Lantern tool post and 3-jaw chuck were the only included tooling. I do not have access to 3-phase power, so will be incorporating a VFD to handle the electrical need. Will need to get a 4 jaw in the future, as well as a modern tool post and tailstock live center. Seems like the more expensive lathes with included tooling may be a better deal after all!

The serial number is 5637. I have searched for the Serial Number Reference Book to no avail, so I have not been able to glean any other details. If anyone with access to the reference book could provide additional details, that would be great. I will post photos soon!

This lathe was purchased primarily to assist in an automotive restoration project, so I plan on turning some tapered material. Many ways to skin a cat, but would like to utilize a taper attachment to do so. I have not seen any for sale and would consider myself extremely lucky if I ever found one, so I may look into fabricating my own. Would like to see if another member who has one would be willing to provide dimensions (these would need to be very extensive!).

I have noted that there is a Yahoo group for Carroll Jamieson lathes, but I have not had success signing up for it so far.

That's all for now. I look forward to your replies.

My 11th ed. (1994) of _Serial Number Reference Book_ does show your lathe was built in 1956 (first serial number for that year was 5606, the last was 5660). This reference also shows they built their last lathe in 1987, and they built only one! In 1986 they built two and in 1985 they built 23.

David

Thanks for the welcome. I did post 4 photos (for now, anyway) to my desktop, but cant figure out how to complete the upload as the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons disappear when I switch from the URL tab to the Computer tab. Perhaps someone could provide some assistance on that.

I will attempt to fabricate a new set of hubs in 7075 T6 for a 71 Porsche 911T so that newer brakes can be fitted. The car will become a hot rod, as it is a salvage title car and is not numbers matching. Titanium parts will be a strong possibility as well. I am thinking that the turned parts will be easier to fabricate than the more complicated items that will need to be milled, but I am not a machinist, so I expect there will be a steep learning curve (and perhaps a barrel full of scrapped attempts!)

I have creative ideas, but a limited budget. And probably will find this endeavor will cost more than I think I will be saving. But I have seen quite a bit online about building your own tooling, so I will give that a try as well and I will be learning some new skills.

Attachments

• Needs a freshening.jpg
    Needs a freshening.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 609
  • SCA Chuck.jpg.jpg
    SCA Chuck.jpg.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Nearly 2 Tons.jpg.jpg
    Nearly 2 Tons.jpg.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 370
Looks like the photos did post!

Couldn't tell that occurred. Here is the last one. Looks like you just press on the "Upload File" text. I don't remember seeing an action/activity icon on my first attempt.

Needs a freshening.jpg.jpg

Back