What's new
What's new

Another Diamond in the Rough

etard

Cast Iron
Here are some pics of the mill I just picked up. It seems vastly different than my other Diamond mill. On visual inspection, the knee and table feed are the same though. I live outside of LA which is where this mill is made, so there is a large population of Diamond Mill owners in this area. My other Diamond is an M22 model horizontal milling machine as seen here in blue (reliable tool pics of my mill at the bottom of Tony's site)

Page Title

Anyway, the new mill was purchased at a garage sale and came with a nice Troyke BH-9 Rotary Table, the same vice I have on my other mill except with the swivel base, and this incredible overarm head that looks to be able to become a vertical head. Let's just say there was no way I could pass it up even though I don't currently have a pickup.

I cajoled the boss into letting me borrow the companies truck and headed over to get the compact beast. We lifted it onto a dolly with a cherry picker and wheeled it out to the truck. We just tilted it back onto the end of the bed and lifted up the base to get it truly horizontal then slid it on wood into the bed. I even got a free jacuzzi pool pump that they had spent all day chopping up with a sawsall! I also got a good look at the motor which is a Fairbanks Morse single phase running 220 volt. It took the motor a bit to get turning, but I did get to see the whole thing work before I purchased it. The PO had it setup for boring some Ford Model A parts, so I see great potential in the vertical head. The guy said his pops had special ordered the head after he purchased the mill. I took it apart and everything looks well lubed as far as I can tell. Hate to gloat, but I am very happy with tonight's score!:D

Pics here:

Attachments

• Diamond Mill Pic 3.jpg
    Diamond Mill Pic 3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 821
  • Diamond Mill Pic 1.jpg
    Diamond Mill Pic 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 987
  • Diamond Mill Pic 2.jpg
    Diamond Mill Pic 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 820
  • Diamond Mill Pic 4.jpg
    Diamond Mill Pic 4.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 756
  • Diamond Mill Pic 5.jpg
    Diamond Mill Pic 5.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 684
Here are some more pics of the Porter Cable head attachment. Any idea what is the collet size in this thing? I want to say it's a Brown & Sharpe #7, the current collet is 1/2", It looks like it could go a little bigger. I also want to say it's a B & S cause it was a bugger to get out.

Attachments

• Porter Cable pic 1.jpg
    Porter Cable pic 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Porter Cable pic 2.jpg
    Porter Cable pic 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Porter Cable pic 5.jpg
    Porter Cable pic 5.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 478
  • Porter Cable pic 3.jpg
    Porter Cable pic 3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 488
  • Porter Cable pic 4.jpg
    Porter Cable pic 4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 533
The mill also came with a Japanese made 5C indexer, as well as a Brown & Sharpe indexing tailstock? I also have the overarm a 7/8" cutter shank and support for horizontal milling.

Attachments

• Troyke Rotary Table.jpg
    Troyke Rotary Table.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 412
  • brown & sharpe 1.jpg
    brown & sharpe 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 453
  • brown & sharpe 3.jpg
    brown & sharpe 3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 360
  • brown & sharpe 2.jpg
    brown & sharpe 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 399
  • brown & sharpe 4.jpg
    brown & sharpe 4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 375
Etard, I have a Porter Cable vertical head for my Burke #4 horizontal and it does indeed take a B&S #7 collet. P/C made these heads in a number of sizes and I think the Burke is a bit smaller than your machine so it may take a smaller head. Don't absolutely know if the collet would be the same size. Nice mill, BTW!

Tom B.

I have one of those porter cable heads as well, though I cannot find a maker's mark on it, I've seen catalog sheets advertising as the improved Mk II version. Mine has a 2" shaft for the overarm hole, take B&S 7. I like the adapted adjustable pulley set-up - looks like automotive heritage.

Good to see there are other guys still using this head. The pulley has been adapted for use on this machine by way of dimpling the pulley shaft and one set screw. There is a half moon key way slot, but the PO chose this method apparently to get a little further reach on the cutter in the Y axis. Anybody know what kind of RPM's on the upper limit of the PC head?

I have one of those B&S indexers. I believe they were for use on grinders. Got it in a box of grinding attachments at an auction for $5.

Wayne

Now that's a nice machine! I'm jealous of the enclosed drive compared to the one I have (and your other one). If I'm not mistaken that means it has a variable speed setup, right?

Yep, Variable speed drive with a big ass pulley behind the metal grate on the back.

I'm not so sure I want to part out my other Diamond, it only needs the x axis nut repaired to put it back into service. I will be selling one of these, when I clean up some of the grime I'll know better which one.

Anybody know how best to put the spindle back in this Porter Cable head? I drove it out while trying to get the B & S collet out and now it wont go back in and I don't want to ruin the internals forcing it.

Got some time to clean her up on Friday after work. We had some Kerosene sitting around so I desided to try it out because I had heard mention that this is a good cleaner for machinery. The stuff worked great! I'll be using it from here on out as you can soak your rag and not feel like you are wasting precious $ on cleaner.
I think she cleaned up well, everything seems to be covered in a greasy film, the table moves smoothly and actually has a nice range of travel. The PO slapped on some random paint, so I'll be doing the same accept with a bit more care and prep. These are quality machines, I wonder how the price compared to similar sized mills of the era?

Attachments

• 20140613_184150.jpg
    20140613_184150.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20140613_183934.jpg
    20140613_183934.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 20140613_184122.jpg
    20140613_184122.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 20140613_183824.jpg
    20140613_183824.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 20140613_183752.jpg
    20140613_183752.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 303
here is the pictures of the main plate from mine , the belt is a gates truflex 3400 and the picture of the napa one is appears to match the one that is currently installed ( it came with the machine I haven't tried it ) my table is 33in long .
IMG_3739 (960x1280).jpg IMG_3733 (960x1280).jpgIMG_3740 (1280x960).jpgIMG_3738 (1280x960).jpgIMG_3735 (1280x960).jpg

yours looks like it found the right home :)
Brice

Brice,
You da man! Thanks for that info, especially the lube chart. I didn't realize that your mill is vertical only, I thought you had a head attachment with the same horizontal spindle. Your mill is vastly different than mine! I am certain the body and base casting are most likely the same though. Here are some measurements of the moving bits for comparison:

Table: 24" x 5 3/4"
Knee: 12 1/4" from back to front

Your table is huge compared to mine! Do you have the auto feed mechanism?

mine has the horizontal set up also along with the overarm , there is a gear on outside of the end of the horizontal spindle that powers the vertical head when it is installed ( it's a pain to change it back and forth that head is heavy ) . my knee is 13 front to back .
no auto feeds but now I know what all threaded holes are for after seeing yours .
Brice

e-tard, I just bought your mill off of a gentleman named Lee in San Diego. Yes, I now own this mill. -Anything I should know about it? PM me or reply or whatever...
Thanks!

That is a very sexy little mill. I'd make room and spend all day watching it run. Big bonus on the extra pieces.

Back