What's new
What's new

Another Eggbeater

joeby

Cast Iron
Hello again,
I am in need of a little historical information again.

Some time ago, I was looking for info on an old P&W lathe. Drycreek mentioned the fact that there may be some good stuff hidden around the lathe. Well, here is one of the survivors:
IM000228.jpg

IM000227.jpg

IM000226.jpg

Anyone seen one like this? I don't know the manufacturer. The only marking is USA cast into the body near the spindle nose.

The button near the top locks the drawbar to loosen or tighten the collet. The crank on top is the downfeed, and it has an automatic downfeed also.

Here's a pic of the collet with an R-8 beside it:
IM000229.jpg

Kevin

I think I have seen something like that in some old catalog..... I believe it was part of some sort of valve grinder....... I have no idea which catalog otherwise I would go look it up for you. Sorry.

The small crank is for tightening the collet,
I take it? Looks like a spin indexer, without
the indexer - the valve grinding attachment
sounds like a very good guess.

Jim

Actually, Jim, the small crank is the manual feed. You can hold the button in on the side and tighten or loosen the collet by turning the operating handle on the side.
By turning the small handle, you can feed the "quill" in or out, and by turning the operating handle on the side, the "quill" feeds out a little every revolution. The amount it feeds out on its own is not adjustable.
Thanks for the replies, I never even considered the valve grinding idea!

Kevin

Joeby, your find is an old Snap-On (or whomever actually made those for Snap-On) automotive starter/generator commutator turning tool.

The collet is a 'master collet' which used sleeves or bushings for the different sizes of generator or starter shafts.

The tool-bit and its holder are missing.

There were at least two sizes of those, and they were issued in field repair kits for vehicles, gensets, etc., back during the war.

They were offered in the Snap-On catalogue in the '50's and '60's....we had one of those, years ago, and gave it to a friend....it is a slow and clumsy tool to use, but a feasible way to recon a commutator if you haven't a lathe.

If you'd like to see a photo of one of those in use, look in an old Snap-On tool catalogue.

cheers

Carla

Thanks Carla,
I can see how that would work, lug on the side has some vise tracks on it.

Actually, I have the toolholder for it also, now that I think about it! I just didn't associate it with the turning tool till you mentioned it.
I didn't find any of the bushings though.

I don't think I'll ever have a use for it; but who knows?

Kevin

Back