What's new
What's new

Another Orphan Lathe Followed me home...

cekann23

Plastic
Well Guys - Another orphan, violated Lathe followed me home.
The throw over the ways is 14 inches. It has a gap in the bed where it is maybe 20 inches. It's about 40 inches from the faceplate to where the center would sit in the tailstock.
Of course there is no markings that I've found. No nameplate or cast letters.
The legs were gone when I got it. It has a compound banjo for the change gears - but no gears. It has a belt drive for the feed. No back gear. It's in pretty bad shape.
Does anyone have any idea as to the maker and how old it is?
20171119_150433.jpg
20171119_150447.jpg
20171119_150452_001.jpg
20171119_150500.jpg

Looks British.

Crank position, and the gap lead me that direction, British makers really liked gap bed machines.

Violated by the leg thieves,not quite as bad over here. Like a Brit machine in as much as it has a gap,and the saddle wheel is on the right but that's it. Ours of that period were flat bed. The 4 v,s are not Brit at all nor the general style.Could be Sebastian.

Stating the obvious I guess, but the crank is on the RH side because of the gap, not because of the country it was built?

Could be... but not all are. I really do not see many US machines with the crank on that side. Really old (1920s) Colchester Bantams have a gap with the crank on the left, and 3 V-ways, so.......... no absolutes.

It is American. It is Sebastian of Cincinnati as noted by TedinNorfolk. It does not look like it is British at all.
All early American gap bed lathes I have seen, have the hand wheel/crank on the right side.

There were American makers who had the hand wheel/crank on the right side even though they were not gap bed lathes.
Here is a Fitchburg and Putnam and Bement.

Rob

Attachments

• Bement lathe 1.jpg
    Bement lathe 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Fitchburg 1871.jpg
    Fitchburg 1871.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Putnam lathe 2.jpg
    Putnam lathe 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 190
Yeah, Sebastian seems to have put the crank on the right for gap bed, and on the left for same machine without. Mix that with UK makers using 3 V ways, and a crank on the left plus gap, and the supposed "national characteristics" go out the window.....

That looks a bit like a fancier version of the "utility" shown at the UK site, which appears to have 4 V ways also. (look at headstock closeup pic, 3rd down)

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sebastian/index.html

Back