What's new
What's new

OT; My latest purchase

Craig Donges

Stainless
Ever heard the saying "Your wants are many and your needs are few"? Well guess which category I fall into.

Today, I slipped over the edge and bought myself an old, postwar era Insley crawler crane. 3-53 Detroit power. I have never owned a crawler crane, so I can justify it, I suppose. It has 42' of stick and yes, it does run and operate. I plan on putting it in the back yard just to have around in case you need to swing something around. Should be great for loading scrap iron if the prices ever go up. Maybe I would scrap it then too. I have a 9 year old son and it won't hurt to expose him to another type of machine. He was pushing buttons on my CNC angle line at age 4 and learned to run lift trucks at age 6, so this will fall in line.

Now, my next big challenge is getting it home. It will weigh in around 12 ton I was told, so it is not that heavy. I may have to remove the stick, since we have to make a few turns to get it here. I sure wish I owned a Landoll!

If nothing else, I'll mount a flag pole on it and have the highest flag in the township.

Well, I had to tell someone, thanks for listening. My wife will probably care less, so I feel better now.

Craig Donges

You wouldn't have to worry about the snow plow tipping it over if it was a mailbox holder. :D

Not like it can't serve as a crane and a mailbox post.

I've got my little Ford loaded to go to an engine show in the morning, so I can't photo it tomorrow. Yes, AP, like Santa Claus, it is real! I will try to take a picture in the next few days.

You guys are a tough bunch! Since I can't provide a photo for a few days, I'll paint a picture for your minds eye, then you compare it to the actual machine when I'm able to post a photo.

Here goes nothing and I'm not going to candy coat this. All windows and does are broken, smashed or bably rusted. Can of ether required for every start, hot or cold. Nicely patinized in a brown oxide finish, save and except the liberal amounts of oil stains. Remember, I said it was a Detroit! Only about 2-3 inches of slop on the pivot, which gives a nice hobby horse effect in operation.

Oh, I forgot to mention that to start the unit, the guy has an old three square file the you use to jumper the soleniod. After it start, don't forget to disconnect the battery charger. A real class act. One of my finer buys.

OK. You now have a more clear description of the machine, something to ponder over in your sleep. I bet you can hardly wait to see the real deal!

Craig Donges

Jim;

Never thought about a mailbox holder, but I live on a state route, and that is probably beyond code.

Let the little buggers hit that with a baseball bat and let's see what happens.

Craig Donges

Mark;

My wife and I have a great thing going. If you look at our property, I control everything North of the South edge of the driveway. She controls the other half, which includes the house. Laugh, but it works well.

A couple years ago, I went to put up a 38' X 72" storage building out back. I needed to encroach on her side of the line, and that was tough. I thought she was going to make me sign a lease, but I got away with it, until i cut down some of here trees.

More than once, I came home and told her I bought a new truck or some other major deal. All I can get from her is oh, that's nice.

On top of all this, she likes to go to work and hates to spend money on anything other than necessities. Hates to go to the mall.

I guess I did one thing right in my life!

Craig Donges

We have codes that say the post can't be so stout as to damage the county's plow trucks... Funny, we don't have any codes saying they can't plow over our mailboxes. :angry:

Not an issue for me, but a buddy of mine has a spring ritual of re-digging the post base and supplying yet another 4x4.

I think the box hanging from a crane hook would be cool. I doubt the neighbors would like it, but I don't particularly give a crap (speaking directly about a couple of mine). :) I like the idea of using some old clapped out iron for a post some day. I can claim it's mobile - you just need a forklift.

Jim;

Since I am on a state route in Ohio, we are restricted to a wooden 4X4, no concrete in the base, nor tamped with stone. Since the state garage is down the road a piece, they watch rather closey. At times, they will go down the road and pull out boxes that are not to spec. The then install a new small box at no charge and leave the old one lying in the grass. I'm not sure what they would say about a suspended box, although I can envision something about being within the fall line.

Moonlight;

Hate to brag, but yes she's a keeper. She also gets Blue Cross/Blue sheild! Great for when your spouse (me) is self employeed. Not bad for a part time gig.

Todd;

Just a small show about 10 miles South of me. I believe it is called the Knox Show.

Craig Donges

Nothing to pull out. :D

Just imagine how easy it would be to give directions. "Drive till ya see the mast sticking up on the horizon, and when you get to it, you're here." lol

Very nice thing to have around the house. Cranes are fun, do remember your power lines. A guy I used to know forgot and paid the ultimate price. Cranes are an extension of your mind. You think it, you do it.

I went to a place in Northern Ill, over by Wheeling if I remember, dead end road full of older cranes. Most had clutches, brakes and gears it was like a museum. Actually most of the cranes were probably 1970 vintages. Most were sold as drag lines. Perfect experience for a young man, or old man for that matter. I ran much smaller 10-15 ton rubber tired mobile cranes years ago, but they were all hydraulic. That is like cheating. If your not using all your lower/upper extremities it just ain't the same. I don't have an antenna on my house {don't watch much TV}, but I would think it would be a dandy TV/radio/ham tower. You just might win the best toy of the month award for this! Congrats on a good marriage too. Cheers, John.

I've got my little Ford loaded to go to an engine show in the morning, so I can't photo it tomorrow. Yes, AP, like Santa Claus, it is real! I will try to take a picture in the next few days.

You guys are a tough bunch! Since I can't provide a photo for a few days, I'll paint a picture for your minds eye, then you compare it to the actual machine when I'm able to post a photo.

Paint and baling wire will fix anything. :)

If nothing else, it will certainly piss off your neighbors. That's priceless.

I would inspect the boom carefully and reef off all the cable on the drums and inspect it before lifting anything of value. In fact, I'd try to test it with something big, heavy, and completely worthless. But I'm just preaching to the choir.

Have fun, stay safe!

(Wondering if I should go talk to the guy with the Erie dragline a few towns over, just to have a bigger, badder, uglier crane than Craig.) :D

Oh yes, and a 3-53 to boot. I dearly love the noise of a Detroit/GM. If the looks of it doesn't piss off the neghbors, get out and fire off that Detroit about 4:00am, lol.

Back