What's new
What's new

Antique dentist's drills, source for belts?

I have a bunch of different lengths which I had intended for a different project. Got them cheap.

What size you need? If I have it its yours for postage.

What I have are the old woven ones..... pretty much like I recall seeing.

My dentist had an old mechanical drill in the corner for people with soft teeth. Glad I never had the "pleasure" of being drilled on with it....

[ 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: J Tiers ]

What size do you need..... diameter and lenght... I have a whole box full made by Ritter Co as I recall.... if they are not right try Habasit, they are the green rubber ones made in Switzerland that are really good.

Thanks for the replies so far. The machine has a plate that says, "Use M-21-118 belt". If that tells us something in some standard system great, otherwise I'll measure it as best as I can.

Dennis

Don't some of those use steel spring belts?

Another approach might be to use fuseable
plastic round belting from McMaster Carr.

Jim

What I have are endless cloth, Ritter, Emesco, parkell, and some no-name.

Generally about 0.1" or 0.125" + - in diameter.

There are several lengths, some duplicated. They are given as 9'1", 9'2", 10'2", 10' 8 1/2", and the Ritter is a No 14, given as "4'11 1/4" double".

If you can use any of them, let me know. I don't think I have any use for them.

I think your "118" means 9'10", based on some of the codes on the boxes I have, but am not certain.

Sorry for the delay, I finally got to measure the belt I need as the machine is at a friend's house. It is a string-like material, about .10" diameter and indeed is 118" long.

Dennis

I dunno how much if any adjustment room is available..... if you can use one 4" longer (10'2"), its yours.... let me know.

I assume one significantly shorter wouldn't work.

I have a bunch of different lengths which I had intended for a different project. Got them cheap.

What size you need? If I have it its yours for postage.

What I have are the old woven ones..... pretty much like I recall seeing.

My dentist had an old mechanical drill in the corner for people with soft teeth. Glad I never had the "pleasure" of being drilled on with it....

[ 11-03-2005, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: J Tiers ]
How do I measure the belt that I have to order another one that size

I understand that, but since it is a continuous circle, does one measure the whole circle, starting and ending at the same end, or does one lay it out flat, doubled as it is and then measure it in that configuration….which would presumably be very close to half the total, but not quite.

Back