What's new
What's new

Antique Drill Press on CL

That picture was good for a laugh. Old wall-mounted drill with a 3-jaw lathe chuck holding a big end mill and a Chinese cross slide vise bolted to the table.

Larry

00L0L_4Z1TN2KbkcD_600x450.jpg

I'd give it an "8" on the ingenuity scale. A hobbyist could probably do some neat work with that rattletrap rig.

MDShunk:

At first, I thought it was just a strange sort of "post drill". Then, after reading your post, it now appears to be a kludge of a post drill plus a gooseneck (?would we call one this small a "camelback"?) bench drill. It looks like a lathe chuck and a (gasp!) X-Y positioning attachment. Considering that the motor is grafted onto a hand cranked post drill, this might just "take the cake" for kludginess !!!

Ingenious? Yes. Rattletrap? DEFINITLEY!

John Ruth

AndyFitzgibbon:

I stand corrected! That curved casting below the lower quill bearing is indeed part of the Silver Mfg. Advance No. 12 Drill:

Photo Index - Silver Manufacturing Co. - Advance No.12 post drill | VintageMachinery.org

Ficron:

There might have been a version with fast & loose pulleys for lineshaft drive:

Photo Index - Silver Manufacturing Co. - Advance no12 | VintageMachinery.org

I'd thought this was a real lash-up of two separate old machines....now I'm seeing that the round shaft that the table mount rides on fits into a socket on the bottom of the curved portion of the main casting.

It's looking more valuable, in the sense that an intact antique post drill is more desirable than some frankendrill.

John Ruth

Reminds me..... years ago I saw a local auction listing for a Champion Blower and Forge Milling Machine. Say what? That got the old curiosity up. I knew they made lathes, but milling machines? So it was a house auction and I wandered around the pre-auction inspection until I saw the unmistakable cast iron casting of the CB&F post drill harp. I just stood there shaking my head and chuckling. If I remember right it was a little more creative than what's pictured here. So I informed the auctioneer that CB&F never made a milling machine and that the contraption in the basement was a homebrew. I never did stick around to see how it was sold or what it fetched.

Back