Antique drill press for sale

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 3,464
D

D. Thomas

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1452336191

yep, that should do the trick..'nerv'mind the make, size, year, photo or min. price...all they need to know is antique drill press in good condition...
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 08-07-2001).]

You sure you really want to sell that thing? From your description it sounds like a real "honey." Must be worth at least twice, no, three times the initial starting price.

You should be able to "crank up" the "phantom buyers" and escalate that price to at least this amount. Or use the "canned buyer's program" that's available on another website to feel out the potential market for the machine - and then turn around and offer it to the next highest bidder in a private sale and avoid the Ebay tariff. I'm told the "buyer's program" costs are slightly below the standard Ebay tariff by design.

Yes, I'm a little put off by Ebay as well. Can you tell?

I still like best the "open flea market" concept where there is competition BOTH ways on a sale. Buyers compete with other buyers for goods, always keeping in mind there is a wider marketplace beyond a single flea market. And sellers compete with other sellers for the buyer's dollars, always keeping in mind that goods unsold will certainly increase the "overheads."

Yes, you can still get stuck but at least the cards are stacked equally tilted on both sides.

Good luck with your drill press! [:)]

Best regards,
Joe
"Yankee Mechanic"

p.s. Now if this were a "Phoenix Works" drill press, you MIGHT have a buyer at this price range.

You sure you really want to sell that thing? From your description it sounds like a real "honey." Must be worth at least twice, no, three times the initial starting price.

You should be able to "crank up" the "phantom buyers" and escalate that price to at least this amount. Or use the "canned buyer's program" that's available on another website to feel out the potential market for the machine - and then turn around and offer it to the next highest bidder in a private sale and avoid the Ebay tariff. I'm told the "buyer's program" costs are slightly below the standard Ebay tariff by design.

Yes, I'm a little put off by Ebay as well. Can you tell?

I still like best the "open flea market" concept where there is competition BOTH ways on a sale. Buyers compete with other buyers for goods, always keeping in mind there is a wider marketplace beyond a single flea market. And sellers compete with other sellers for the buyer's dollars, always keeping in mind that goods unsold will certainly increase the "overheads."

Yes, you can still get stuck but at least the cards are stacked equally tilted on both sides.

Good luck with your drill press! [:)]

Best regards,
Joe
"Yankee Mechanic"

p.s. Now if this were a "Phoenix Works" drill press, you MIGHT have a buyer at this price range.

Joe, you've got me curious about the canned buyer's and open flea market websites...can you give URL's so's I can take a peek ?

Just for the record, I like eBay ok...no need to get annoyed at eBay because a few sellers like this guy are complete idiots...he'll never in a million years actually get a bid anyway....just humorous to me that folks can be either so slack or in fantasy land that they think they can sell something unique without a good photo and description... much less no photo at all, no description and a reserve, for gawds sake !

Joe, you've got me curious about the canned buyer's and open flea market websites...can you give URL's so's I can take a peek ?

Just for the record, I like eBay ok...no need to get annoyed at eBay because a few sellers like this guy are complete idiots...he'll never in a million years actually get a bid anyway....just humorous to me that folks can be either so slack or in fantasy land that they think they can sell something unique without a good photo and description... much less no photo at all, no description and a reserve, for gawds sake !

The "canned buying program" websites exist - they've been talked about at the Chaski site several times.

I confess I have never used them. It's too easy to see the "flaws" in the system or imagine the chicanery that goes into defeating it.

Like "phantom buyers." Anybody can register himself to Ebay using a certain ISP, then go to another ISP using the SAME computer, get another unique number, and do it again under a pseudonym. If you examine some of the "bidders" listed on Ebay you may occasionally see a certain "thread" that seems to permeate the system. The same "buyers" seem to keep turning up at the same "sellers" auctions.

When I speak of "flea market" I'm not referring to a website. Rather I'm referring to that open field with tables covered with literally TONS of stuff where everyone stands around either "running something up" or "running something down," and occasionally you see an object pass in exchange for money AND hopefully both parties smiling.

I confess I'm a little put off by Ebay. Have had much better luck at places like half.com or even mysimon.com for the small "essentials" of our modern existance. Can't say I've seen my desired Phoenix Co. Drill Press listed there though.

'Course I haven't seen it on Ebay either.

Should have snapped it up when I saw one in a scrapyard in New Bedford in the early 1980s. I was young and stupid and didn't know I wanted it that bad then. Cest la vie.

Now I'm no longer that young.

Best regards,
Joe
"Yankee Mechanic"

The "canned buying program" websites exist - they've been talked about at the Chaski site several times.

I confess I have never used them. It's too easy to see the "flaws" in the system or imagine the chicanery that goes into defeating it.

Like "phantom buyers." Anybody can register himself to Ebay using a certain ISP, then go to another ISP using the SAME computer, get another unique number, and do it again under a pseudonym. If you examine some of the "bidders" listed on Ebay you may occasionally see a certain "thread" that seems to permeate the system. The same "buyers" seem to keep turning up at the same "sellers" auctions.

When I speak of "flea market" I'm not referring to a website. Rather I'm referring to that open field with tables covered with literally TONS of stuff where everyone stands around either "running something up" or "running something down," and occasionally you see an object pass in exchange for money AND hopefully both parties smiling.

I confess I'm a little put off by Ebay. Have had much better luck at places like half.com or even mysimon.com for the small "essentials" of our modern existance. Can't say I've seen my desired Phoenix Co. Drill Press listed there though.

'Course I haven't seen it on Ebay either.

Should have snapped it up when I saw one in a scrapyard in New Bedford in the early 1980s. I was young and stupid and didn't know I wanted it that bad then. Cest la vie.

Now I'm no longer that young.

Best regards,
Joe
"Yankee Mechanic"

Back