What's new
What's new

Antique engraver info needed

SBLatheman

Titanium
Antique engraver information needed.
Does anybody recognize this engraver?
I have had it many years, tucked away for later use. Now I am ready to use it and I don't know how :confused: or what parts I might be missing :willy_nilly:

TIA
Ted

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 282
That is fairly early judging by the ornateness. If there is no makers mark, it could be made by an enthusiastic individual way back in the day. Jake

I believe that is a Francis Engraver. If you Google it, it should provide you with some info. Do you have a lot of fonts to go with the engraver?

George

I believe that is a Francis Engraver. If you Google it, it should provide you with some info. Do you have a lot of fonts to go with the engraver?

George
Thanks, I will do the Google for that name.
I have 3 wooden boxes full of different letters and numbers

Francis Engraver looks like mine :), not much info though :(
I'll need to find a tool holder
These pictures are from the google:

Attachments

• IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 165
Back around 1964, I bought a similar, but different engraver at the auction of an old-time jeweler's estate. Mine was painted black with pinstriping. I sold it long ago and don't recall if I ever discovered the maker's identity. I did get it working and put my name on a few tools. The main feature of this type of engraver is that the cutter is an actual conventional hand graver that cuts a V-shaped groove. There was provision for turning the tracing stylus and causing the cutter to turn in unison, so the graver cut a chip in the direction of travel, rather than dragging a scratch like modern "diamond drag" engravers. That part of the device used belts and pulleys, rather than gears. The pressure of the graver against the work could also be varied to make the groove deeper in places. I decided the results were quite good and, with practice, would get better. But the thing took up too much space, so I sold it.

Find the Francis patent and you will see very nice drawings and a description of the machine.

Here is a tool I engraved with mine.

Larry

DSC00886.jpg

Good morning,

I collect watchmaker tools and tools from related trades.

I have just started to restore a Francis engraving machine, the same model shown in this thread.

I would like to find a like machine for parts or as the base I can add my parts to.

It's a long shot, but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks,
Wynter

Back