What's new
What's new

Antique punch press in Rochester Craigslist.

I sold all my punch presses about 15 years ago including one like that and they sold fast for a fair price, I think the bigger ones went to Mexico.

So what are you going to do with it? If you are a 1 man band you can use it. If you have employees it will cost a pile of dough to make it OSHA legal.

They aren't hard to make Osha legal and even very reliable even without an air clutch.

Thing is 75 ton is a fair size OBI, but it isn't anything special. Anyone in the market would buy one 50 years newer for the same money.

I have a WWI vintage Bliss 300 ton and it is fully Osha compliant. Which is pretty easy when everything that moves is over 7' in the air.

I do not know what the current regs. are from OSHA, but there used to be some very extensive mods. one had to do with an old press such as the one in the listing. On our old Bliss 30T, we were going to have to get rid of the mechanical brake and clutch, install twin palm switches, guards, and a light curtain. So we disconnected the thing from the mains. Of course, on the weekends, we hooked it back up and ran production for the few stamped parts we needed.

A few years later, we had also heard that some of the regulations had been relaxed, to what extent, I am not sure. I do know that OSHA is regulated at the state level to a large extent, and that the states are the ones that do the inspections and enforcement. In Indiana the agency is IOSHA. Currently in Indiana, you do not receive periodical inspections if you have less than 10 employees. And, generally speaking, you rarely get an inspection unless there is a serious accident even if you do have more than ten workers. It would not surprise me that New York has much more stringent rules though.

As for value, that is hard to ascertain. If a company needs a certain size press, you can often get a decent price, but timing is everything. There was a period back in the 1990s when I was still running the Shop, a few fellows dropped buy and attempted to buy the old Bliss. Offered pretty good money at time it seemed. Never found out what they wanted it for, never parted with it because I was still occasionally stamping out parts. Years later while researching some of my old machines, I procured some books published by Bliss on the various models of presses they manufactured in the WWII period. The machine I own was not listed, nor anything that looked like it. That prompted me to do some extensive Internet searches. I was able finally find out that my press was made specifically for doing the "necking" operation on .30 cal. ammunition. At different times in the last 20 years, I have ran across ads from some foreign weapons firms still looking for my type of press.

You can call OSHA in yourself and have them produce formal documentation of what they will require to make the machine legal in their book. It also buys you a couple years to modify the machine to their requirement.

Funny to read the reference to "one man band" in this thread about an old punch press. There is (or was) a factory in the western part of NY State that made "Kazoos"- the tin "musical instrument" that kids played years ago before electronics took over.This factory was line-shaft driven into the modern era, though "OSHA-ized" with guards and all the safety features added to the presses. They were stamping out kazoos using the same designs they'd used forever.

When I saw the press in this thread, my first thought was "finger factory". Years ago, when I was working out in Ohio (1975), I first heard the term "finger factory". Seems some fellow was speaking about his sister, whom he said "had a good job, she's foreman at the finger factory". Being new to the area, I had no idea what he meant and asked about. Turned out his sister was a foreman in a metal stamping plant. The plant turned out small stamped parts for the automotive industry (kelsey-Hayes brakes, I think). There plants were referred to in that part of the midwest as "finger factories" since press operators occasionally lost a finger feeding the presses. The severed finger, if running blanking or trimming dies, usually wound up in the bin under the press, often with the finished parts. Hence the name. How, in 1975, with safeguards on the presses, people were still losing fingers to punch presses is something I never found out. I knew that in the USA, by the 1920's, punch presses were being fitted with assorted safeguards such as cuffs which pulled the operators hands back and clear before the press would operate, or with guards that were interlocked with the clutch pedal.

When I saw this oldtime punch press, all I could think of was the kazoo factory (since this press is out in the Rochester, NY area), and "finger factory". The unguarded press also revived a memory I have not thought of since about 1970, when I was an undergraduate. In college, lots of us worked all sorts of jobs to help pay tuition. I worked in machine shops, and soon found one of my classmates also worked in a machine shop. My classmate described it as a small tool and die shop that had a few presses. This was during the Vietnam war, and many smaller shops were getting subcontract defense work. My classmate said this shop was kind of a sketchy or shady operation, but it was a shop job, no questions asked as to anyone's legal status in the USA, and not bad pay. The shop my classmate worked in was one step up from a shop in someone's garage behind their house. As my classmate told it, this was a back-alley operation, and he did not ask questions and was paid in cash. The owner was a recent immigrant who knew how to hustle, and his workforce was a mixed group of very recent immigrant from Eastern Europe, a couple of Turkish fellows, and some South Americans. My classmate was a recent immigrant from Israel (applying for citizenship in the USA), who came to the US to study engineering, and fitted right in with this group. Since he could speak English better than the boss, along with German, Hebrew and Rumanian, and read drawings and had some machine shop skills (having attended a technical high school in Israel), he was put on actual machine work. The boss was delighted to have someone who knew his way around machine tools and could communicate in several languages as well as making a good drawing and figuring how to do jobs. The presses were running jobs stamping some belt buckle parts for parachute harnesses. The spec called for a very thorough deburring job along with radius's on some of the surfaces, so the Eastern European guys spent their days using pillar files to file radius' on various parts of the buckles. The Turks were running the presses, which, according to my classmate, had no safeguards on them. As my classmate told it, he was using one of the machine tools in the "toolroom", when one of the Turks appeared with a shop rag soaked in blood around his hand. He looked at my classmate and in broken English said: "My finger-gone". My classmate got the boss, who did not bat an eye. He looked around the press and found the severed finger, picked it up and put it in a paper cup and got someone to run the Turk over to the hospital. Whether they reattached the finger or not, I never found out. The boss simply grabbed another recent immigrant and told him to get on the press vacated by the Turk.

Punch presses like the one pictured in this thread are bloodthirsty machines if not fitted with appropriate safeguards.

The only punch press that I've seen sell locally, was the one we had in college tech program. It was a 35 ton, newer, but still lacked the later safety features. I don't know if it ever got a bid, they were trying to get it started at 5 dollars..................didn't seem to be any scrap people there.

You just described at least 100 shops in Rochester in the 70s.
The kazoo factory is in Eden NY, and either exists as a museum or is still in business. They offer tours if you find yourself in Eden.
Kazoo * Kazoo Home

The shops had calmed down considerably from the 50s when Govt surplus .50 cal barrels that had been torched were being cut down, rethreaded, rechambered and recrowned for loading on a DC-3 at the back end of the airport.

I did a lot of work for one Jewish group that made or handled everything from awnings to sump pumps. Much of their labor was PortoRican along with women from the Ukraine who ran the sewing department. They had relocated at Taxpayer expense for urban renewal, and considered buildings the floor didn't routinely jump in when a machine cycled the lap of luxury. One operation was a collection of about 9 huge camelback drill pressed that took raw castings arriving from Mexico in burlap bags by the trailer load and turned them into finished pumps moving along a 60 foot line. The owner spoke no Spanish, but his nephew knew enough to run the crew.

Another shop made precision instrument cases from wood and cardboard, and had a then 100 year old cigar box joint cutter for the corners. That machine was the last known to exist then, and it produced 5 days a week. The other end of the shop sewed leather cases for Bausch & Lomb. 2 floors down they made fiberglass and steel awnings with minimal manpower.

Another branch of the family made plumbing fixtures for campers. They also had the complete shop that produced fixtures and tooling for everybody in the group.

They also owned the company that made ice cream cones for all of NY, Pa and Vermont.

The common thread to all the shops was a good quality new air compressor trying to move sufficient air to machines through undersized pipe. None of the owners would get near anything precision like a machine shop, because it wasn't a skill set they had and they had cousins with machine shops.

Best part was 4 of them had me on retainer so they were the job I went to in the morning regardless of what job I was already doing. They even kept track of where I was working and some days decided who needed me most and fastest. When OSHA came into full force most of the shops closed and machines were sold.

Those were some good times, and bills got paid by return mail.

They also owned the company that made ice cream cones for all of NY, Pa and Vermont.

Franz -

I have to ask - Reynolds Cone Company? If so, during the late 50s until mid 60s I handled a few hundred thousand of them (at least it seems like that many) dipping ice cream at my folk's place in the Southern Tier.

Can't remember which salesman handled them, or if we ordered direct.

Dale

Punch presses like the one pictured in this thread are bloodthirsty machines if not fitted with appropriate safeguards.

Joe -

I had a prof in grad school (71/72) who worked in a shop at the end of the Depression while in college. He told of several of the guys who worked there missing parts of fingers from the punch press. But in some cases, intentional. Seems whatever the firm was had some insurance and you got X dollars for losing one joint, etc. Hard times and some guys figured missing the end of a little finger was worth it.

He was a straight shooter and I always have believed the story to be true.

Dale

Empire Maryland cones & waffle cones.
I loved watching the waffle cone machines cycle. 2 step process waffle was half baked on a rotating set of waffle irons, grabbed and rolled around a cone form, and finished baking all in about 30 seconds. When that machine jumped time it was entertaining.
Regular cones were just a gob of dough dropped into a split conical form that a inside mold came down into.

Same company had distributorship for paper products from straws to cups, including the paper insert cones Woolworth used tons of in metal holders to avoid dishwashing at their lunch counters. I still have about half a carton of straws which are very handy for lighting water heaters.

Huge old cut stone & wood 5 story building on the East bank of the river just South of Bausch Street in an old industrial area. The cone company owned a fleet of 20 foot box IH trucks to deliver product.

Back