What's new
What's new

Antique Von Wyck lathe - Bradley, Illinois

Jkokolus

Plastic
My late father has a Von Wyck metal lathe that we are auctioning in my parent's estate sale (they passed 12 days apart in Feb/Mar 2017). I didn't realize how rare this lathe may be until doing a little research on your site. Money aside, I want to make sure this lathe finds the right home with someone who will value it in the way my father has all these years. He was a mechanic and used this lathe to make so many custom parts and items that he couldn't find elsewhere. In my eyes, he was a self taught mechanical genius even though he didn't finish grammar school.

As far as I know, this lathe is in working order with all the parts. The auction has a preview day tomorrow for anyone who is interested in checking out the lathe and it's many extra parts, in person.

Von Wyck Industrial Metal Lath... Auctions Online | Proxibid

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Julie

Unfortunately it appears that the countershaft is missing and the lathe is being driven directly from the electric motor. While it appears to be quite possibly a nice machine, this creates a problem in running it at proper speeds and finding a correct countershaft for such an old, unusual lathe would be extremely difficult. The current configuration would result in speeds well in excess of the lathe's design.

Tom B.

How does a lathe survive for 108 years and only have "minor wear". The carriage should have fallen right through the bed by now...

Thank you for taking the time to provide educational feedback. I don't know much about the history of the lathe or why my dad would have modified it's design but I do appreciate the information so I can be on the lookout the missing parts, if they are still on the property. The body of the lathe is in terrific shape as my dad took very good care of most everything he owned; especially oiing items on a regular basis to prevent rust.

Thanks again. Julie

Back