What's new
What's new

Artisan lathe

Raybmarlow

Cast Iron
What can anyone tell me about these lathes, I have a line on one, not the one in picture, but just as complete
8502a9d60d16b055da97bd919cb91401.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

probably not a collection piece

It depends on the collection I think, I like rare and strange looking oddities, (being one myself). I think it would be a show stopper in any shop, most likely to make people ask questions. For instance, the lead screws on Artisans are very unusual, in fact, anywhere you look at one you'll see unusual features. As far as using one for hobby use I don't know about that, certainly not for commercial use.

It depends on the collection I think, I like rare and strange looking oddities, (being one myself). I think it would be a show stopper in any shop, most likely to make people ask questions. For instance, the lead screws on Artisans are very unusual, in fact, anywhere you look at one you'll see unusual features. As far as using one for hobby use I don't know about that, certainly not for commercial use.

Very good point , I being a bit odd and quirky myself, just might work and this lathe and myself could get along just fine, I think I may ponder this a little more ....

I have one. They actually come up on craigslist from time to time. The building where these were built in Cincinnati is still standing if I recall. They are a nice hobby lathe. Ill be keeping mine.

I have one. They actually come up on craigslist from time to time. The building where these were built in Cincinnati is still standing if I recall. They are a nice hobby lathe. Ill be keeping mine.

Do you happen to know the location of where these lathes were made? I live in Cincinnati and would be interested in checking it out.

From the photos it looks like there is substantial swing for such a small lathe. The leadscrew is always engaged, like a British lathe of the 1950's and earlier.

Also, I do hope someone takes care of it.

According to lathes.uk they were made by "the Artisan Manufacturing Co, of 839 West Sixth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA" and later under the name "Rocky Mountain Steel products" in Los Angeles.

Artisan Lathe

Thanks for the info. I will check out this location. If there is anything there worth reporting or taking pics of I'll add them to this thread.

Thanks for the info. I will check out this location. If there is anything there worth reporting or taking pics of I'll add them to this thread.

That would be great , I am most likely going to pass on this one I've came across , I just don't have the room , my shop is bursting at the seams as the old saying goes... And I just made a deal on a Putnam that I would prefer instead. If anyone here is interested in the Artisan, I will gladly share the information with you .

Back