What's new
What's new

asquith OD1 good bad or ugly

...nice looking machine...

s-l1600.jpg

Indeed it is! She needs to come and get BOLTED down in my workshop though I could get a fatman to hang off it to see if I really do need to bolt it down:nutter:

Great drills, bullet proof design. They made thousands of them, almost every place I've worked had at least one.

I've seen a few with the switch bracket strained over like that one. Careless operator lowering the arm down on a big job or swinging it into a job is usually the cause.

First time I've seen a bench vice used on a drill.

See if you can spot the lever nicknamed " The Donkey's Knob " on the drilling head.

Regards Tyrone.

Thanks for your reply tyrone
Is there any mechanical gubbinsin the switch box that can be damaged?
Last question do you know of anyone in doncaster area that can load it?

Thanks for your reply tyrone
Is there any mechanical gubbinsin the switch box that can be damaged?
Last question do you know of anyone in doncaster area that can load it?
Quite possibly, you could do with a better photo of the box really. If it's only the box itself that's been knocked out of alignment the innards should be OK.

Sorry but I don't know any riggers in Yorkshire that I can recommend. You need somebody who knows what they're doing otherwise you could find it's been lifted by the arm and not from the base.

Regards Tyrone.

First time I've seen a bench vice used on a drill.
Regards Tyrone.

Possibly but ;) Between 1979 and 1982 I had a very old flat belt drive Radial drill, some obscure German make I can't remember, about a 3ft throat & 4 MT etc etc on agricultural fabrication work.

Along with a Taylor drill vice, it had a 6'' QR Record bench vice on it when it came to me, and for the vast majority of the work I was doing the Record was the better vice.

It came from the bankruptcy / closing down sale of a small chalk quarry and processing works.

I got the drill, 2 vices, several angle plates etc etc and 2 of the old Watney quart bottle wooden beer crates stuffed full of drills sleeves and several reasonable chucks for £85 + VAT AKA a steal :)

It was in a mess and a I got a fair amount of piss taken over my purchase (Like - I'd paid far too much for a couple of tons of scrap !) about 10 hrs work had her up and running nicely.

That machine did some serious work for me 000's of holes - for I think?? 1 off, new flat belt - I used to tell the ''where the hell and how old is that? brigade'' ;- It's not that old they'd used it on the keel of the *Kaiser Wilhelm II ;) (FYI - WWI German battleship)

When I parted with it in March 82, oddly enough, it was ''the piss taker in chief'' ............who after a little haggling, quite happily gave me 300 quid for it :D

Possibly but ;) Between 1979 and 1982 I had a very old flat belt drive Radial drill, some obscure German make I can't remember, about a 3ft throat & 4 MT etc etc on agricultural fabrication work.

Along with a Taylor drill vice, it had a 6'' QR Record bench vice on it when it came to me, and for the vast majority of the work I was doing the Record was the better vice.

It came from the bankruptcy / closing down sale of a small chalk quarry and processing works.

I got the drill, 2 vices, several angle plates etc etc and 2 of the old Watney quart bottle wooden beer crates stuffed full of drills sleeves and several reasonable chucks for £85 + VAT AKA a steal :)

It was in a mess and a I got a fair amount of piss taken over my purchase (Like - I'd paid far too much for a couple of tons of scrap !) about 10 hrs work had her up and running nicely.

That machine did some serious work for me 000's of holes - for I think?? 1 off, new flat belt - I used to tell the ''where the hell and how old is that? brigade'' ;- It's not that old they'd used it on the keel of the *Kaiser Wilhelm II ;) (FYI - WWI German battleship)

When I parted with it in March 82, oddly enough, it was ''the piss taker in chief'' ............who after a little haggling, quite happily gave me 300 quid for it :D

I was "following my nose" on an old " Churchill " cylindrical grinder one day and the works manager came round asking " Have you not got any drawings for this machine Tyrone ? "

I said " No Frank, they all went down on the Titanic ".

Regards Tyrone

Back