What's new
What's new

Auction of lots of bench lathes, etc,

rivett608

Diamond
Just an advance notice, a friend of mine is helping a family of guy who was a tool collector and watchmaker dispose of his shop. There will be an Auction on 11/11 in Orange Mass. Here is an advance look at the text for the flier. I wish I could make it there....

IMPORTANT AUCTION

WATCH and CLOCKMAKERS BENCH LATHES and OTHER TOOLS

Also scores of cross slides, collets, chucks, and other accessories.
Original horological and machine-related books and catalogs.
35 small lathes. Some makers are Ames, Derbyshire, Goodell-Pratt, Mosely, Pratt & Whitney, Randall, Rivett, Sloan & Chase, Stark, Waltham Tool Co.
Several special production lathes and tools, probably made and used by the Waltham Watch Factory.

Collection of William Muir, Wayne, NJ, longtime member of NAWCC

QUABBIN VALLEY AUCTION
30 Whitney St. Orange, MA 01364
Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:00 a.m.
Preview same day 8:00 to 11:00 a.m.
View website Home
Auctionzip ID #22788
Auction license #AU3053
Email Roger K. Smith at [email protected]
for a list of the lots

PS, the list is not done yet, give them about a week more.

Open a reply or edit box. Put your cursor where you want the pictures. Click on the tree in a frame icon, third from the right, that is labeled "Insert Image." A new box will open. Click on "From Computer" and "Choose File" and your computer files will open in a new window. Select up to five pictures from your files and click "Open", then click "Upload." The thumbnails will be inserted in your edit or reply window, wherever your cursor was placed.

That works on computers, but I don't know from Macbooks.

Larry

Roger K. Smith is the author of PTAMPIA - Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes In America. Volumes 1 and 2. A standard for those interested in tool history.

51QuJ7QUTML._AC_US218_.jpg

He was also heavily involved in the Kenneth D. Roberts books on the Chapin Plane Factory (Wooden Planes in 19th Century America; Planemaking by the Chapins at Union Factory, 1826-1829)

Joe in NH

Here are some composite pictures....

Ok, need help. How do i get photos on the PM without photobucket? I opened additional options. clicked manage attachments, dragged the picture there and it opened filling the box and hiding all controls... what I do next?

Im on a macbook with firefox

Thanks

You cannot drag and drop an image into the manage attachments box. All that will do is open the image you dropped, in your browser,

Ok, here are some images.... Thanks for the help in posting pictures, I figured it out.... Photobucket was so much easier but then look what happened.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 316
Here are a nice Rivett and a Derbyshire, the drawers are for the Derbyshire and still checking on set of collets.

Attachments

• 111derbyshire lathe.jpg
    111derbyshire lathe.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 323
  • 111 rivett(3).jpg
    111 rivett(3).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 304
  • Image 9.jpg
    Image 9.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Image 33.jpg
    Image 33.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Image 38.jpg
    Image 38.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
I'm using Firefox: if I click "Reply" down the bottom of someone's posting, the reply text box opens up on the page but not in a separate window. Up the top of that text box is a series of font formatting icons and then this: Spectacle.jpg You click on the square icon in the middle of the five icons (I think it's supposed to be a tree) and another window pops up called "Insert Image" in this window there are two tabs up the top labelled "From Computer" and "From URL" once you select the "From Computer" tab you can browse to your image file and insert it.

Edit: looks like you sorted it out in the time I wrote this post.

Here is just more of this stuff and it is only some of it..... also a bunch of "project lathes", maybe dozens.

Attachments

• Image 10.jpg
    Image 10.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Image 7.jpg
    Image 7.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Image 22.jpg
    Image 22.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Image 24.jpg
    Image 24.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Image 27.jpg
    Image 27.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 203
And some more stuff... nice sander, this came from the same shop as the Yates American pattern lathe in a separate posting is from there is also a planer with the lathe. I think Roger's plan is to sell that in place in NJ while the rest has been moved to Orange Mass. for the auction.

Attachments

• Image 31.jpg
    Image 31.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Image 29.jpg
    Image 29.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Image 13.jpg
    Image 13.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 245
I didn't attend personally but a friend did and bid on and brought back a few lots for me. The prices seemed very low but these were boxes of parts, not lathes. For example, I got a lot with a 7" Hardinge turret in decent shape for $25. I was very excited to get lot 26 but the one thing I wanted from it, the chase threading arm, was not there as it was in the picture posted online. I wasn't happy about that but then again I wasn't there to inspect it so can't be too mad. If there was more Cataract stuff I would have made the trip.

I think the fully stocked Derbyshire on the bench went for $1000. Not sure on the beautiful little green Rivett.

Back