What's new
What's new

Hendey crank shaper

johncollins

Aluminum
I recently bought a 12" Hendey crank shaper from the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station (TX) that has war production board tags on it so I assume it is from the WWII era. It is in very good condition mechanically but it has been painted so many times the paint is peeling all over. My question is, is there anyone out there that might have operators manual, parts book or any other information that might tell me a little about the machine also a little history about the Hendey company would be interested. I, of course will pay for reproduction, shipping, etc. I have been running it and although it is slower than my milling machine, I like it better.

John C

This is the place for info!

Good find! I'm presently working on a Hendy friction shaper circa 1902. You'll find that Hendeyman is a godsend when it comes to info and I believe there is a download for your shaper in the manual section of this site. As for removing the paint, I tried using a 3" wire wheel in my hand grinder. It works but is painfully slow. I spotted a can of Strip Eez paint remover on the shelf and slopped some on...instant removal down to the iron while I enjoyed an adult beverage. Just be sure to remove the paint while the stripper is still wet or you'll have to reapply.

You'll find a shaper is pretty useful and downright hypnotic to watch in action!

Good find! I'm presently working on a Hendy friction shaper circa 1902. You'll find that Hendeyman is a godsend when it comes to info and I believe there is a download for your shaper in the manual section of this site. As for removing the paint, I tried using a 3" wire wheel in my hand grinder. It works but is painfully slow. I spotted a can of Strip Eez paint remover on the shelf and slopped some on...instant removal down to the iron while I enjoyed an adult beverage. Just be sure to remove the paint while the stripper is still wet or you'll have to reapply.

You'll find a shaper is pretty useful and downright hypnotic to watch in action!
Thanks George, the manual was just what I was looking for.

John C

Back