What's new
What's new

B&S 618 micromaster- no Y movement manual or auto- HELP!

ironhoarder

Cast Iron
I'm making good progress on getting this old beast running. With help here, I got the spindle motor and hydraulic motor running. Tonight, I got left-right table movement working! The set screw that locks the bushing on the table throttle was broken off flush. Careful work with an easy out got it out, and shazam, the table moves!

Next problem is table cross feed. I turn the hand crank and it does nothing. The crossfeed controls on the right do nothing.

I have the manuals, but so far they are not enlightening me- gotta keep studying.

I read in there about a half nut that disengages the hand wheel when the power cross feed engages- maybe it is faulty?

So- if anybody knows the mechanism for the crossfeed on these things, I'd love to pick your brain!

Thanks-
Lynn Kasdorf

my recall is rusty but here goes
verify that lead screw on y axis turns even though you have no motion--
pull back cover and view
hydraulic infeed outfeed cylinder is present on y axis --there is a spring loaded valve built into
complex manifold which is part of y feed and rapid retract this spool valve function depends upon
complete freedom of motion and position bias determined by coil spring
and here is the achilles heel of all grinders using flood coolant--water contamination
high probability that your machine has internal rust and or debris obstructing spool which clamps/unclamps bronze
split nut used for manual feed--hydraulic cylinder does this job on cycle motion

y azis valve body/manifold is complex especially if you have the rare z axis automatic feed option

you may get lucky and back out socket head screw plugs with access to spool and springs

more likely is removal and teardown

check hydraulic sump depths for tell tale water

jh

Thanks for the reply.
I have removed the rear cover of the upright and can get my hand on the Y lead screw. When the Y hand crank is turned, the lead screw turns.
Last time I had the big plate that covers up the sump area removed, it looked really clean in there, but it has been a few years. The manual identifies the crossfeed hydraulic components and it looks like I'll dig into the control block as you describe.
The hydraulic oil level is a bit low- about 1/4" below the "full" line on the sight glass- but I don't think this is the problem.
I wonder if I can use the same hydra-trans hydraulic fluid that I use in my skid-steer and back hoe? Also, the manual suggests a flushing agent for cleaning out the hydraulic system. I'll have to research that.
I don't mind taking this thing apart as long as I can figure it out and not break things in the process. I have a roll around engine hoist that should help.
I suspect if I remove the table, I'll be able to see more of what it happening. I don't know how to do that yet.
Mine doesn't have the hydraulic down feature, but it does have the motorized rapid up/down. The up/down handwheel doesn't move at all, and the up down motor doesn't come on at all. I need to trace the switch wiring on that.

I have one.the throttle for table speed needs to be in stop position.the direction lever(in or out) needs to be in the middle position. Jim

got to think more.lol..the rapid and dress control needs to be in the center position.. I need to go look.im getting mixed up now.lol. These are things to check

I just now tried all combinations of lever positions. I found that with the table throttle off, if I mess with the cross feed controls just right, I can get a wee bit of wiggle on the cross feed wheel. Also, I hear the sound change when you move the cross feed speed lever. I hear a clunk and a change in the rushing sound.

So- there is fluid moving around somewhat in the crossfeed circuit- but I guess it is gunked up.

OR- how about this theory: moving the crossfeed is supposed to move the massive cast iron upright front to back, right? Since this machine is absolutely filthy and has its share of rust, perhaps it is locked up. Perhaps when the crossfeed circuit tries to move it, there is too much resistance and it gives up? .. just a thought

Just now I pulled off the rear way cover and after getting a look at the the ways, I realize that even if everything did work, I would want to pull the big upright and clean the ways before I use it. So- looks like I'm in for a teardown of the upper part of the machine at least. The ways don't look terrible, but there is crud in there.

The trick will be how to carefully take things apart in a way that I don't break anything, and can get it back together properly.

They're very sensitive to good pressure on the cross feed, I've found. If you're clogging, she ain't moving... I seem to recall the manifold system being really convoluted and overly complicated.

Ironhoarder ,
If you have a digital camera handy and you are able take lots of pictures before you start taking things apart and of the various assemblies as you go along, then putting the machine back together again will be a lot easier .
You could print some of the pictures on regular paper and make some notes on them as you go as to shim order , spacer thicknesses or bearing placement in the assemblies .
Taking pictures inside a dark hidden underside cavity with a flash can often show up hidden screws and dowel pin locations that you may not be able to see initially that could prevent you getting something apart.
Essentially making your own parts book as you go along.
Regards,
Jim

If mine sits for a few months it won't power feed or dress till I crank it in and out a couple times.i think it dries out and she won't slide on its own. If I leave it run for several minutes it does pump oil to ways and it will then move on its own.

Back