What's new
What's new

Barnes #1 20 inch drill press

mikedell

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a Barnes #1 20 inch drill press that's missing the chuck. Do any of you gents know what size chuck I need? I've looked for hrs with zero luck.

Thank you
IMG_0643.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0645.jpg

I've also pulled the shaft out of the press to clean up and inspect. I've included some photos that might also help in answering my original question. I'm not sure if I'm missing a inner shaft and chuck?

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Hit the "reply" button and see the lower portion of the page expand to allow a comment block.

See and press the button Go advanced. Further down on the page you'll find "Manage Attachments" button. Press this.

A partial page will open titled "File Upload Manager." Over to the right top on this you'll find "Add Files" button. Press this.

An upload sub-page will open with a button centered near bottom "Select files." Press this.

A "browse" page will open which will show you all the files/structure of your computer. You can drill down through this to find your pix. Pay attention to size - above a certain size it won't upload (this may be your problem.)

When you have selected your pix here - you should see it as a thumbnail towards the top AND on the lower portion of your File Upload Manager page. When you do - press "Done" button on the lower RH corner.

File Upload Manager page serves as a sort of Picture Cache for all your uploaded pix. You can re-use these pix for future posts.

Alternatively, if you know ASCII script convention and have a photo-host site - you can use that - but most of these sites now charge for 3rd Party Hosting.

Joe in NH

Thank you, that helped a bunch. I have them posted now.
Here is a few more of the shaft I removed from the press
IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg

Think it uses a Morse Taper #3 or #4 with drill chuck on end. (could be a Journo) Can't find my drill press catalog that I think tells us but will keep looking.

May have an old chuck at least and will let you know.

Ed

Drill Chuck

Think it uses a Morse Taper #3 or #4 with drill chuck on end. (could be a Journo) Can't find my drill press catalog that I think tells us but will keep looking.

May have an old chuck at least and will let you know.

Ed

It uses a Morse taper #3. I have one of these drills. You can find Jacobs chucks to fit that if you so desire, or a set of drill bits with that taper.

It isn't missing any parts except for the chuck or the bit. You use a wedge tapped thru the slotted hole to dislodge the chuck/bit. You can buy these or make one out of a scrap of plate. The chuck holds itself in place once installed as the taper is self locking.

Nice looking drill and good luck, if you have any other questions ask away, I have lots of photos of my restoration and would be glad to help you out. I have an older thread showing it as well which may be helpful for you to browse.

Back