What's new
What's new

Milwaukee H mill

Marshall Henderson

Hot Rolled
Just found out about an auction this weeked about 100 miles from home that has a Milwaukee "H" vertical mill on the sale bill. Called the auctioneer, all I could get for info is that it is old, vertical and tight. ;) No way of getting pictures, etc. :( Also has a 21" drill press & O'Brien bench top lathe 30" bed listed, same story, no more info.

Ran search on Milwaukee mills and am confused. Is there a model "H" vertical mill or is there a range of mills like 2H, 3H, etc? Looking for info from the experts here as to what the possibilities might be?

Auction list shows what looks like a wide range of smaller tools from good older pieces to late model imported cheap stuff. Not sure if this was a side line that a small repair shop took on or if it is an older machine shop that has finally decided to call it quits.

Thanks
Marshall

1H, 2HL, 2H, 3H, 4H

Not sure if verticals were avialable in all these.

There was entirely differing verticals for instance in 2HL and 2H - the "light" have fixed or swiveling heads (some with quills yet) and the heavier 2H having the beefy sliding vertical head.

John

John
Thanks for quick reply!

Another open ended question....

Ideas on range of weight and sizes? Trying to figure out if I will take the Bobcat trailer down to the sale or if I might need to talk with my buddy and have him haul iron with his flatbed truck.
Choices are...
A. Take the trailer and there will be nothing but junk or bigger than I can haul.
B. Leave the trailer at home and find out that I have to make another trip to get some more iron.
C. Not go and keep getting ready for the "Springfield Lump" ( 42" x 144" or so lathe) that should be here within the next week or two.
Might as well flip a coin on that one.

Option C is not really an option :D

Marshall

1H vertical = 2700
4H vertical = 8750 :eek:

And the H was the "little" K&T - check out a "K" sometime for some serious iron :D

The ones that just say "H" under Milwaukee seem to be the 1H and 2HL - same marvelously handy little machines except for table lenght.

John

Did Milwaukee became a part of K&T? Or changed its name? What time frame would this have happened. When that took place was there any change of models?

Just curious? Sometimes the history is more fun than actually running the machines. I just have to do both.

Mr Kearney and Mr. Trecker decided at the outset that the K&T Corporation of Milwaukee, WI would build "Milwaukee" milling machines

John

John, when I worked at Hanchett's [another old machine tool company] we had a H plain mill it was the size of a 3H horizontal witn no power feed in any direction. Both the machine and the book simply said H plain miller. My millwright and I always guessed it was an early 1900's. It was equiped with an electric motor since Hanchetts had their own dam and converted to electric in the shop very early.

Marshall

Marshal:lI am going to an auction that has an unspecified condition Milwaukee H about 40 miles from me this Sat. They also have a Cincinnati Mill, and 2 Gortons. Lots of other farm other stuff. I am going to preview them Friday pm. I have no idea what any of these are or their condition.
May just get lucky. I am hoping for a nice Gorton or maybe Cincinnati. Have the trailer problem also. Hate to pull the 8000 lb trailer, but it may prevent a second trip.
Wish I knew more about these old mills.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

Looked at the H milwaukee this afternoon. It is a "5 H Plain Miller".
Horizontal; and about a 72 inch table. I'd quess over 8000 lbs. It is 3 miles NE of Coalgate OK on highway 31. Owner was sick for several years. It is inside, but pretty rusty. Out of my league to move.
Had 2 Gortons also. Both had 3 MT spindles best I could tell. They were hooked up but I was not allowed to run them. Not going back tomorrow to the auction. Still looking.
John Burchett
in Byng OK

Back