What's new
What's new

Barnes No. 13, Serial No. Location?

I inherited my grandfather's Barnes No. 13 lathe a few years ago and I'm interested in dating it. I've been looking for a serial no. but, can't seem to locate it. Maybe covered in grime? If you can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. When I was 8 yrs. old I turned my first piece on this lathe, nothing fancy, just a simple cylindrical part with a 1/2 in bore in one end. I think this lathe is from the early 1900's and it looks like it has the peddle legs but, it's had an electric motor conversion as far back as I can recall. I'd post some pics but, haven't figured out how to attach them yet.

imghttp://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/3d-design-etc-/albums/grandpa-s-w-f-j-barnes-no-13-lathe/img

imghttp://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/3d-design-etc-/albums/grandpa-s-w-f-j-barnes-no-13-lathe/2279-no-13-overall-1/img

Last edited:
As for posting pictures, you have to go back and edit the post or make another post as pictures can't be added in the first post on a thread unless edited. :nutter:

As for serial numbers, I don't recall W.F. & John Barnes using serial numbers on their metal working machines. They did use a lot number to reassemble the various parts after fitting and painting.

The #13 was introduced in 1901 when the #6 was discontinued, according to Barnes catalogs.

Ray :D

Saved the day

Well today wasn't a complete loss.

My #13 has the No 2231 if my memory is correct.

However one of my #5-1/2's doesn't appear to have a number, wire brushed that area and nothing appeared. And can't reach the other #5-1/2 at present.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I've looked at the headstock and can't see the number but, I'll have to wait until I can get to cleaning the surface. Right now I've got a number of items stored in front of it. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I was successful in attaching one picture of it. If not, you can go to the albums and see a number of pics I uploaded last night.

Attachments

• No. 13 Overall 1.jpg
    No. 13 Overall 1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 550
Benjamin Franklin Barnes was a brother to WF & John. He was a super at the original company for 25 years and then started his own company.

He used a somewhat different design on the left leg related to where/how the flywheel was located. That leg had two parts and the flywheel was in the middle. Very different.

Never seen one by BF in the wild.

Hope this helps.

Just love the stuff!

Thanks Ed

Better gather all the pieces ......

Hello Joe,
You better gather all the pieces, and assemble for measurement for reproduction. I have gleaned a few pictures of B.F. Barnes lathes but as Ed said "never seen one in the wild". You may luck up and find a commercially available worm gear the needs some modifying from places like Martin Gear, Boston Gear or Browning gear. However you need to know what gear you have and need. It is difficult to find a counter person who is knowledgeable and willing to search for this information.

Thanks guys I dont know why I bought it. I dont know how to use a lathe. I found out how to brake one. I learn one thing the belt dont need to be very tight. If the belt slips so thing wrong.

Back