What's new
What's new

Blaisdell & WF Barnes scrapyard lathes

OlCat

Aluminum
I just ran across a couple more scrapped lathes, and wondered if anyone needed some parts for either of these machines. There's not a lot left of either but I will try to get pics on Monday if there is any interest.
Lots of broken handles, bent shafts, etc, but if someone really needs something it may be just the opportunity.
Bob

Both of these are of interest to SOMEBODY on this board. Failing in that I might contact the principal at www.footpoweredtools.com about the Barnes Machine. Parts are ALWAYS welcome in that stable, and he's not too far away.

Blaisdell started in business in 1865 and went for a good 30 years plus. (later Whitcomb-Blaisdell and variations) So you see the timeframe - and the attraction.

Joe in NH

Joe,
Thanks for the tip on the footpoweredtools link, I'll try posting an advisement there to see if there's interest. You never know what might be needed.
I'll post pics here on Monday too, hopefully
Bob

I may be interested in parts

Hello Bob,
I may be interested in any Barnes parts. I have several parts of Barnes lathes needing more parts, better parts, or parting out. :nutter:

And you're about 2 hours away, could become my closest acquisition. :D

Ray :D

OK Timekiller and Restore49, if you guys will pm me with your email addresses, I will send some pics of the Barnes No 5 to Timekiller, and the Blaisdell to Restore49... if y'all wish to post them on the PM site, you're welcome to do so.
Bob

Yes I need a worm gear & a step gear for the cross cut in the trolly. For a B.F Barnes Lathe. I think , I have the only B.F barns lathe on this site. May be my chest pains will go away when I get it fixed. I cant believe I let the cross cut bottom out.

Im new to this site, can some one tell me how to post a want add or were to look for parts. I hate to scrap any thing old that runs on flat belt. Im going to put a cabin up in the woods & the only way to get to it is by boat. I been working on bridges for 20yr, noise & being told by motorest Im #1. Got me looking for tools to go( Am-Ish) LOL

Im new to this site, can some one tell me how to post a want add or were to look for parts. I hate to scrap any thing old that runs on flat belt. Im going to put a cabin up in the woods & the only way to get to it is by boat. I been working on bridges for 20yr, noise & being told by motorest Im #1. Got me looking for tools to go( Am-Ish) LOL

Parts inquiry: Actually, I think you just did, but perhaps not to the best or widest audience. Best way is to use this board (don't bother with the Classified) and start a thread. This thread should have a "subject" that is plain and to the point. "Need Parts for XXXXXX." Your first entry should elaborate on the subject and preferably include a pix showing the broken part or assembly. We're mostly "visual" people out here - and we LOOOVE pix. Keep in mind that you can't put a pix into the first post (to prevent spammers) but you can add it anytime after it's posted using the "edit" feature.

You'll also want to indicate where you're located generally. People can reach you using the "private message" feature of this board: keep an eye out at the upper RH corner of the screen. In your thread narrative you can give a telephone address which you can "doctor" somehow to prevent the spam gathering search engines from garnering your number. Such as spell the number out like Six-Oh-Three-792-something something something something. That way you'll have at least some small shred of privacy left when the spammers get done with you.

Then you kind of got to turn your back on the ad - but keep your eyes open like you already are and watch what others put up for scrapyard finds or other. You might "update" the original parts inquiry twice over two months to bring it back to the top - but don't do it much more than this or you'll turn people off. Meanwhile it still sits out there for others who search for info on your machine can see.

There are some here on the board who are reproducing parts for Barnes Lathes. They'll make themselves known to you if they haven't already.

Parts searches can be difficult. Ebay is more and more becoming a place to look for barnes parts - but be prepared for the pricing. Be patient. The part didn't disappear or break immediately and it won't be restored immediately either. It's all part of the "machine continuum." Meanwhile, there are things you still can do with the lathe, or ways to restore or get around the issue. If you're here and paying attention, then you know what I mean. It is WHAT WE DO.

Cabin in the Woods: Not a bad idea but God forbid if you have kids or a wife. It's a difficult lifestyle at best. But I expect you know this.

Read "Losing the Garden" by Laura Waterman which is the interesting story of Guy Waterman who was a very talented individual who went "natural" for many years - and made himself a name among the New England mountain climbing set - but ultimately committed suicide. Sad book and maybe outlines the pitfalls of a separated existence.

Bridges and being "No. 1": that you are but not for the reasons the motorists think. And you sound like a "keeper of the flame" to me so you're A#1 in my book.

Good luck.

Joe

thank you

Thank you for the compliemt. If people only knew the only thing there driving on is rebar, when they cross a bridge. I can take a blow gun & make a hole big enough to put a city bus in. You cant believe how many familys with children are living under bridges. It makes me sick because I can't do any thing to help them. The only thing that I can found thats relaxing is hooking up a belt to my John Deere B and listen to the belt slap. If you get a chance to rent a movie pick up a copy of The Road. Ps the land I want to build on is on the ST. Johns river in Florida alot of trees & 16ft lot lizards. lol

Last edited:

Back