What's new
What's new

bench vise question , what is it?

rockcombo

Aluminum
one of my co workers was cleaning up his garage the other day an ran acrossed this vise and was wondering if I had any idea what it was , I don't , so I figured I would toss it up here and see if we could get some info .:)
there are no brand markings on the vise , but it appears to be well made .
thanks Brice
grantsvice012.jpg

grantsvice020.jpg

grantsvice014.jpg

grantsvice010.jpg

grantsvice023.jpg

The vise you show is a combination vise that is also something of a "universal vise" as it can rotate and swivel. It is not old, and is most likely of Chinese manufacture. These vises are still available from various dealers. It is outwardly rugged appearing in its design and proportions. However, these vises are made of iron castings which have thinner walls in some locations, and are not as rugged as first appearances might lead one to think. They are OK vises for most bench work, but not up for withstanding heavier use such as hammer work (chipping with chisels, pounding to bend work in the jaws) or heavier pipe work despite the pipe jaws.

The example you have is one of the better ones. These vises were (and still are) produced by a variety of firms in China and sold by a variety of vendors in the USA. Basic design is a constant with these vises; quality varies widely. Your neighbor got lucky and got one with good finish and probably good castings. As I noted, for most light shopwork, these vises are probably OK.

Joe Michaels

Well??!!

No distinguishing marks, however it looks like one of the machinist vises Harbor Freight Tools was selling at one time. They looked like a very nice vise. My Dad had one. He broke it. Dad is notorius for using his vise as a press. Sometimes adding a piece of pipe to the handle. No doubt it was during one of those manuvers that it met its demise. He took it back and they did replace it for free.

Mike :cool:

Rockcombo Sir,
I have a vise of Chinese origin that I bought at a 'cummings tool' sale that is the twin to that vise.. While not finished to a high degree I use the thing every day with no problems.. I believe 'cumming' still sells them.. If memory serves I think I paid less than 40.00 for mine...
Stay safe
Calvin

Mine was made in India. It came with a tag "Made by Guru" I've had it about 15 years. It has been beaten and thrashed and welded upon and it still works well. It is often handy to have the pipe jaws and rotating head. It works well as a chainsaw mount when you want the chain guide held so that you can start and run the saw safely.

Yup, I have one of these, too. It's my abuse vise. No, it doesn't grip like a bulldog with tetanus, but it's great for welding and things that you need to grab in some weird fashion. I have a nice Hollands vise in the machine shop, but that crappy radial vise (that's what mine was labelled as) is a handy thing.

Mine was bought at a Menards store- made in China. After it went through a flood I cleaned it up and painted it. Made a stand out of a tube and a piece of I beam filled with concrete. Can't even be in the same room with my Reeds and Hollands- but as stated above, it works OK and the rotating Jaw is handy sometimes.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Back