What's new
What's new

Benchmaster issue

bluearc

Aluminum
Raising and lowering the table.Can't figure out why it is so difficult to move up or down. It seems to stick and get stuck sometimes. I loosened the gibs cleaned and oiled and still the problem exists.
Sometime in the past it looks like my machine may have been converted from a turning wheel to a simple lever to lower and raise the table. 2044.jpg

That does not look right.

Every one I have seen has the table raising crank at an angle out left side of the knee. The casting has a feature to hold the shaft and bearings.

Then also the top of the raising screw has a ball bearing.

Are you certain its a Benchmaster and not something else like a Minton or a Lewis?

Looks like it was converted from lever (rack) feed to screw feed by someone. A fair number of Benchmasters were rack feed, for production use.

Andy

I've only ever seen rack for the table feeds, this is the knee raising screw, and it just does not look like any others I have seen.

I went looking for ANY pictures of lever feed Benchmaster. I did find one advert on the UK site. Is actually shows a vertical lever feed with the shaft where that shaft is, and that unit also has table lever feed, but in and out is dial.. So they existed. NO photos of one, other than the green one with the big wheel on the raising screw..

The regular table feed unit is shown with the normal raising screw.

I did find pictures of THAT PARTICULAR unit in google images. Can be only one that is green with that big wheel under the table

I tried to search and locate the image of what you had found however I was not able to bring it up. I sure would like to locate that image 2046.jpgto maybe help me devise something to make the machine work as intended.

I tried to search and locate the image of what you had found however I was not able to bring it up. I sure would like to locate that image View attachment 163146to maybe help me devise something to make the machine work as intended.

That image is from your post here to the South Bend Lathes forum back in 2013. As Andy mentioned, it looks like your lever rack for the vertical feed is still on the mill. So is the shaft to turn the mating gear for that rack. The gear is located on the back side of the knee. If the gear is still there, and you can raise and lower (or at least try to raise and lower) the knee by turning the shaft sticking out the front, then the lever mechanism (which uses the rack) and the added screw mechanism (which uses the plate on the bottom) may be fighting each other. That sure would make it act like you describe.

Irby

That's what it does indeed seem like.

The image I found is the one from the bottom of page 2 of the 2 page blurb on the vintage machinery link above. "Production Miller". It's not very detailed, but it shows both levers, and one is where the shaft on yours is. The other type is the one above it, with a standard knee crank, and just the one table feed lever.

Either they made only a few, or they were all scrapped / converted, because your machine is the ONLY ONE of the vertical lever feed I could find an image of in Google.

To want that, the process needed to be a pocket milling process, where the item had to be moved over and the cutter dropped into a pocket, like a keyway in the middle of a shaft. Otherwise, the standard table feed only type machine would be all that is needed, and the cranks would be used to set the precise depth and locations for the keyway, or other feature. Clamp, feed, reverse, unclamp, repeat.

Vintagemachinery.org has diagrams of the two Benchmast mills, bulletin 37-20 and 37-10. My mill would be a 37-20 model and listed as a "production mill" while 37-10 is listed as a "screw mill".

Also on the diagram #41 lists a jam nut however on my mill there is a plate that is used in place of a jam-nut. If this plate is turned from 0 to 100 is reads 100 thousands and each of the marks are at 5 tho increments.

Back