What's new
What's new

Big traveling head shaper

kitno455:

The Centering Cones were a common feature of most Travelling Head Shapers. They were a standard feature of all of the larger Hendey T.H. Shapers. A fairly fine "pick feed" is used to rotate the Cones allowing for a smooth cylindrical surface. The same system is used with Slotters and with the necessary accessories, can be done on a Planer. Because of the basic design of the drive system to the Cones, accurate indexing, as used for gear cutting or spline work, isn't practical. One nice advantage of doing cylindrical work with this kind of shaper set-up, is you can start it running and go do something else. Since the longitudinal feed is disconnected, the
Ram will stay in one position and the work will just keep rotating until you return.

Hendeyman

Or a myopic artist who has not learned perspective drawing...

Often,unfortunately,it's often all there is to go/rely on. I've always been fascinated by the Great Exhibition of 1851,have a few quite good books on the subject. Any machinery or machine tools were drawn up very quickly by Illustrated London News artists. Not much useful can be gleaned from the machine tool pictures,such as they are. With the endless-and tacky-neo Roman and Greek sculptures,and cloyingly sentimental and melodramatic paintings on the other hand....

Large traveling head shapers still in existence seem to be very rare. A quick Google search turned up a few, but these were in museums. There are still some small examples left but they are greatly outnumbered by their more conventional counterparts. I'd like to have one (not that big) but I'd also like to have the room to put it.

Hi Peter you seem knowlegeble I need help identifying a bicksford cincinatti machine please email me [email protected] it's a 3 phase machine belt driven I have pictures, the machine is about 2 meters tall

Back