What's new
What's new

Witherby, Rugg and Richardson Wood Lathe

Langanobob

Hot Rolled
I have this old wood bed lathe that I'm getting started on, need a motor and a bed but those shouldn't be big obstacles.

IMG_0723LR.jpg

I'm completely new to flat belt lineshaft drives and this machine came with I think most, but not all of the parts that I need. One question I have is the belt shifting process. The picture below is from another system, it's very similar to the parts I have and it explains a lot. I'm guessing that there is some sort of pole that allows you to move the belt shifting mechanism? Sure appreciate it if someone could post a picture or a link to the end of the pole. It looks to me like it'll have some sort of fork on the end.

DSC_0071.jpg

Here's another question. Can anyone tell me what the device below is for? I think it may somehow be part of a belt shifting or belt tensioning device but so far haven't figured it out.

IMG_0730LR.jpg

Really looking forward to getting this lathe up and running.

Thanks,

Bob

The middle pix you gave us is not the best - parts are mispositioned and a little less than conventional.

Below see a typical woodworking lathe countershaft.

ax30.jpg

Note here the two forks of the belt shifter are applied to the tight and loose pulleys of nearly the same size. And there is a wooden rod that reaches down in front of the operator and by moving the wooden rod right and left he can move the shifter forks and thus the belt from the loose (idle) pulley to the tight (drive) pulley.

Also note that speed changing is done "remotely" when the countershaft is stopped, usually with the aid of a tall pole with a hook or fork on the end contacting the belt. The operator would shift the lower cone belt position to "loosest" and then use the forked pole to move the upper cone belt position to where he wants it. And then match the position on the lower cone to tighten the belt.

I actually think you may have almost all the equipment you need to set up a credible belt shifter/countershaft. I don't see certain parts, but likely they're there in the pile of stuff - or could be made.

Hope this pix helps. There is nothing quite so relaxing as starting a leather belt machine and hearing the flip-flip-flip of the belt joint pass over the pulleys.

Just be careful of getting your hands between the belt and the pulley while the machine is in motion. Or getting your hand raked by a metal lacing piece. Or even rawhide joint pins. You're talking a 19th century machine here with 19th century sense of safety guards, risk to the operator, and regret after injury.

Joe in NH

Joe,

Thanks. Your picture is perfect. I think I have all the parts on hand to put together exactly what's shown in the picture. Now I understand that the shift from the idler to the drive pulley is done with a lever - a lot better than the pole I was picturing. And speed changing is done manually with a pole with the countershaft stopped. Simple stuff but hard to figure out on my own.

I have everything but the shaft itself and I'm not sure if the babbitted bearings I have are for the countershaft bearings so I may adapt ball bearings to the original bearing bracket.

This project is going to be a lot of fun. Just need to build the wood lathe bed after I figure out how long I want it to be and then decide what to use for a motor.

Bob

Of course all this assumes you have a continuously turning main drive shaft running the length of your shop. And you need a double width pulley on that drive to allow the lathe drive belt sufficient lateral movement and not come off the driver.

It might be easier to set the rig up initially using a single motor to drive just the countershaft. You might scab on to the wooden cone pulley with plywood disks which might be grooved for a v-belt and allow a direct motor drive.

And you'll need to do some research to figure out exactly what speed you want to turn your countershaft in either a motor or lineshaft case. (most of these tend to run 250-300 rpm, but woodworking machines may use a higher speed.)

Whatever though. It ain't rocket science. Others here may be able to tell you their experiences in setting up a similar arrangement.

And W,R&R were a good old time Worcester, MA maker.

They have some info over at vintagemachinery.org including a pix of a restored lathe. Yours may be similar.

8818-A.jpg

Good luck with this,
Joe in NH

Joe, that lathe in the picture looks very close to mine, I haven't seen the picture before. I have a Porter 24" planer that was originally flat belt driven. It's sitting neglected now and maybe the lathe drive system will get me going on the planer too. I plan on designing the line shaft so that I can expand it in the future.

Thank you,

Bob

Back