What's new
What's new

Big Old Iron For Sale, Cleaning House

JBoogie

Cast Iron
Hello All,

A fellow I know has a whole shop full of very nice antique machinery that he is looking to either sell off or send to the firey furnace. The shop was started in the 40's and built mechanical and hydraulic elevators (Century Elevator)until they closed in the 60's. These are awesome machines and are well tooled and maintaned. They are still wired up, he ran several for us while we were looking around!

Here is a partial list by memory:
40" Putnam gearhead lathe (weighs 40,000#'s!)
24" x 24' Lodge & Shipley gearhead lathe (with the factory original ac/dc motor/generator set and swith gear!!!!)
13" Le Blonde conehead lathe
24" G&E shaper
Very large key seater, I forget the make but it isn't a D.C. Morrison.
Several gear cutting machines with cutters and misc. tooling. One he said
will cut a 14" worm.
Brown & Sharpe i.d./o.d. grinder(s) one of them is modern.
Cincinnati (I think) surface grinder, one of the last built, modern.
Thats about all I can think of for the moment, will add more later and hope to get sum pictures to post if there is interest.

I have no concern in this machinery other than the hope that it may be saved, it is truly nice equipment. He is open to offers on most items. There are several riggers in the area that can be hired out. If anyone is seriously interested please pm me.

Jason

I dont think the timing or space available is right for me, but I would appreciate a few photos of the big Putnam, if you could get them posted.

I am looking for an early gear cutter (preferable Putnam), but this shop sounds of later vintage.

Anyway, if you have pics please go ahead and post them, its easy enough if you already have them. If it requires a return trip, then might as well wait and see what others say.

I just re-read, I am not in the serious camp, more casual interest. Not looking to waste your time.

Hello,

I hope to be hearing from the guy to get a price list and to get some pics, he's got some cleaning to do. Will keep you updated.

By the way, I thought I should mention how they got the large machines into the building. He said his grandpa dug out a ramp in the ground and they backed the semi-trailer up to the pad and winched them off with chainfalls hooked to the pillars.

He was also telling us how they turned 48' long shafts in the L & S. There was a section of the wall that was removable at the tailstock end. They would pull out the wall, chuck the piece and have the end sticking out of the building in a roller hanging off the fork truck.

Thank you to everyone who has showed interest. I'll try to get pics this weekend. Have a good Memorial Day everyone.

Hi I sent you a PM about these machines.

will cut a 14" worm.

Thanks,

--Greg

Hi I sent you a PM about these machines.

will cut a 14" worm.

Thanks,

--Greg

I sent a PM also..but has not replied as of yet.

Hello All,

Sorry for not being around but the holiday weekend was crazy and so has been this week.

Everyone who has pm'd me has had their contact info passed along to the owner, who is also a very busy guy and not the easiest person to get ahold of. I hope to get to take some pictures soon.

So if you sent me a message (even if I didn't reply), I passed your info to him so you should be expecting a call either over the weekend or in the next week. I figured I would do it that way instead of posting his number here and having him upset by being bombarded by phone calls.

Please keep us posted if you swing a deal on anything.

Back