What's new
What's new

Boston Craigslist South Bend Lathe

Joe in NH

Diamond
This was a curious posting. You gotta admire his honesty. Plus he seems willing to dicker just to be rid of it.

Lathe - $400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-12-13, 2:16PM EST

I will tell you what I know about this lathe - It is enormous, I would say about 10 feet long. It is operated by 220. It says "SOUTH BEND" on the machine. You will not be loading it in your pick-up truck because it probably weighs more than your pick-up truck. It is pretty old and seems to be in good working order. I am happy to help you load it to the best of my ability, but it will take a few people, and maybe some sort of jack or lift to get it into a truck. It is probably worth thousands of dollars but I dont know much about it, have no use for it, and need it gone - so 400 bucks and she's yours. I would be happy to take something in trade for it, 4 wheeler, dirtbike, firearms (I am licensed), etc... Try me.

Email me your phone number and I will give you a call back. Thank You.

Back to me...

I was in a machine shop in Northfield, VT in the 1970s and they had a South Bend of this ilk. It was interesting with a faceplate about 2 feet in diameter.

I think it was then and there I decided I liked old machine tools. Nobody in the shop even seemed to know it was there. But I had my eyes on it the whole time.

Best,
Joe in NH

Back