What's new
What's new

Bridgeport E-Shaper Head stroke accuracy

borne2fly

Hot Rolled
Just got a Bridgeport Shaper head because .... well ... I always wanted one and this one was a near giveaway in seemingly good shape. But I've noticed that the stroke adjustment isn't all that accurate. Dial in 4" and I get something less, around 3.75". Dial in 1/4" and I get around 1/8". I can rotate the stroke dial from min to max and back and it moves smoothly except a little sticky as it passes through 1". The stroke pinion shaft seems to have some slop in it ... I can almost rock it back & forth between two adjacent settings without the ram moving.
Is this normal or is something messed up in there?

Sounds like your shaper head is well worn. When I use one i don't pay any attention to the dial. I just crank it over and see where the end of stroke is and if it's close use it at that setting. The only problem with excessive play is that the ram will fall down when it clears it's stroke. It could hit the bottom of a blind hole.

That's what I was hoping ... that it's just an indication of wear and not something busted. I'll just eyeball it as you said and be careful in blind holes.

Be certain to never use it without tightening the nut for the stroke adjusting dial. A loose nut will put the cutting force on the adjusting pinion teeth, and break them.

Back