What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe Dividing Head ID

Randy Musselman

Plastic
Hello,

Please see attached pdf photos and layout of a B&S dividing head I have and am trying to identify a model number.

If any of you could advise on any particulars or a source for a detailed manual for this I would appreciate it. In the overview, I want to see the differences between it and a full universal which is what I really need for my long term plans. The 2-D CAD layouts are taken from rough tape measurements to get an idea of size.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Best Regards,

Randy Musselman

Attachments

• BS Dividing Head 4.JPG
    BS Dividing Head 4.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,133
  • BS Dividing Head 3.JPG
    BS Dividing Head 3.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 851
  • BS Dividing Head 2.JPG
    BS Dividing Head 2.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 707
  • BS Dividing Head 1.JPG
    BS Dividing Head 1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 586
  • BS Dividing Head Layout.jpg
    BS Dividing Head Layout.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,218
A full universal has an input shaft so it can be geared to the table screw of a milling machine, or to a train of gears to the DH spindle for differential indexing.

Phil,

Thanks for posting.

Other than the one response, I did not. Is your unit complete with a set of change gears? If you would be willing to share detailed photos of the universal input driveshaft and the drive system on the side of the head up to the dividing plate handle? It would be interesting to see how B&S arranged this with this style unit which I believe is called a trunnion style. My hope was to some day use this head with my universal Sajo horizontal mill. Looks like trying to convert it to a full universal would be difficult.

This head is very large as you can see by the standard regulation basketball beside it. As I recall it took four of us to lift it out of my trunk!

In addition if you may have any manuals or parts breakdowns illustrating the differences for the full universal, it would be helpful. I need to disassemble mine and determine why the main spindle has approximately 3/8" axial end play.

Thanks again for the message.

Randy

Phil,

Thanks for posting.

Other than the one response, I did not. Is your unit complete with a set of change gears? If you would be willing to share detailed photos of the universal input driveshaft and the drive system on the side of the head up to the dividing plate handle? It would be interesting to see how B&S arranged this with this style unit which I believe is called a trunnion style. My hope was to some day use this head with my universal Sajo horizontal mill. Looks like trying to convert it to a full universal would be difficult.

This head is very large as you can see by the standard regulation basketball beside it. As I recall it took four of us to lift it out of my trunk!

In addition if you may have any manuals or parts breakdowns illustrating the differences for the full universal, it would be helpful. I need to disassemble mine and determine why the main spindle has approximately 3/8" axial end play.

Thanks again for the message.

Randy

Sorry Randy, missed your reply somehow, here are the only pics I have at the momentPicture 003.jpgPicture 002.jpg

Phil,

Thank you again for posting. Looks like you have a future machinist there?

In research, I did find the low level input shaft is connected to the index handle by a gear train which includes (2) helical gears crossed at 90 degrees, then a gear "ladder" to reach the input handle. This gear train can be cut in and out of engagement by a plunger which I believe is shown in the first picture below the index handle.

From this research, it appears the index handle and plate assembly turn during helical cutting operations. Between cuts you stop it and index forward to the next cut.

After repeated search attempts, there is almost no information posted on the web with details of these trunnion units, except for a few photos but those were not full universals.

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I just ran across this thread here at work as I am looking for info for my B&S 10" universal dividing head that is identical to Phil's. I see that you are in Lancaster. I live in Pottstown so if you were interested in seeing it in person just let me know, we can set something up. I actually started tearing mine down last night to clean it up and oil it down since it has been dry as a bone since I got it this summer.

Jay

Jay,

My apologies for the long delay in response, thank you for the offer. I just PM'd you but cannot see the message in the sent box, hopefully you received it.

Thanks again,

Best Regards,

Randy

Back