What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe Indexing head 379

Blough

Aluminum
So I found this listing locally and picked up a Brown and Sharpe indexing head.

Can anyone help me out with catalog pages, ads, manuals, parts catalogs, etc. on this? Where I could find anything about it?

It seems to be in decent condition, someone most likely repainted it.

IMG_1016.jpgIMG_1020.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1022.jpgIMG_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Can't really help unless there is a proper photo of the indexing head.
B&S would stamp the serial number of the machine on the matching accessory such as a
dividing head and the tailstock. Or the accessory could be numbered from 1 to ~ or grouped by numbered
lots produced as a group.
379 is therefore a false trail to follow.
Here is one B&S example from 1907:
B&S Single Dial Index 1907 .jpg
John

Here we go. It was hiding out in the 1916 B&S Catalog of Machinery and Tools.
Pretty sure I have seen that tailstock or one like it on Ebay.
The top view photo confirms identification. Does yours have the
#9 B&S taper?
Top View.jpgB&S 6 inch index center.jpgFront View.jpgIMG_1021.jpg
John

Here we go. It was hiding out in the 1916 B&S Catalog of Machinery and Tools.
Pretty sure I have seen that tailstock or one like it on Ebay.
The top view photo confirms identification. Does yours have the
#9 B&S taper?
View attachment 212463View attachment 212464View attachment 212465View attachment 212466
John

Yessir, it does have a #9 B&S Taper

That's a cute little head! I've never seen one like that. Are you missing any plates?

Me either, but for $60 I wasnt going to just let this one slip by! Sadly the only plate is the one that was on it..

I have what may be the tail stock for it. May wish to measure what the center height is though. I purchased two pieces together from ebay a little bit ago, and the tail stock was one of them. I wouldn't mind a buy, sell or trade either way to get them together. I posted about it here if you care to have a look:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...help-identify-brown-sharpe-attachment-340727/

Id definitely be interested if it is a 6" center, I am not sure what the forum rules are here regarding b/s/t transactions in threads. If you can send me a message we can go from there!

Sorry for the late reply. I suspect for whatever reason my send pm's are not working, as my sent folder shows zero. But I figured I wait a day or so, as I don't want to appear as a stalker, lol.

My center sadly is not 6". I'm not entirely sure, but I think there may be a lower half missing, maybe that lower half raises the height to 6", but I could not say. As it is, it's 3" to center with the lower that is on it.

I paid a little too much for the two pieces. It was kind of an impulse as I had just bought a B & S surface grinder, plus I'm looking at a B & S cylindrical grinder and thought I'd grab some option attachments. Though obviously the tail stock has little value to me without the indexer. I do think it is possible to split the tail stock that I have, use the upper half, and build a lower section to get your 6", But I'd understand if you don't want to go that route.

I'll post better pics here. If you're interested try emailing me [email protected].

142.jpg143.jpg144.jpg

Unless I missed it there were three plates showing in the ad, so unless they are standard bore and BC you'll have to make them I guess. Such a cute li'l bugger would be worth the effort too.
I bought a different direct indexing head a while ago and it has 60 degree notches in the periphery instead of holes, so it should be easy to make plates for. I haven't found out what plates were available originally though, and you have the same problem I think.
Maybe you can find data on it though.

Unless I missed it there were three plates showing in the ad, so unless they are standard bore and BC you'll have to make them I guess. Such a cute li'l bugger would be worth the effort too.
I bought a different direct indexing head a while ago and it has 60 degree notches in the periphery instead of holes, so it should be easy to make plates for. I haven't found out what plates were available originally though, and you have the same problem I think.
Maybe you can find data on it though.

Well I took a chance and bought these three I stumbled upon on ebay (Wasnt even looking for them) but without measuring they look identical to the one I have on it. Hopefully I get lucky!s-l1600.jpg

That 3" T/S may be OK. It was described as a 6" SWING, correct? That would out the center at 3" or so height.

However, if it takes the bottom section to raise it to 6", that may not be what he wants. The pics show the correct one as on-center without any extras.

Hi. I have the same dividing head, and I’m in the process of refurbishing it. I am however missing some parts (I think) that relate to the direct indexing pin. I think that there may be a detent ball and spring as the pin itself has an indentation on the top of it. And the rear of the pin has a small pin feature that looks as if it might be there for a compression spring.

Can anyone confirm this? I haven’t been able to find any parts diagrams for this style head, bar the catalogue entry already posted… and this thread. :)

IMG_1899.jpegIMG_1900.jpegIMG_1901.jpeg

All of the castings have “23” stamped into them, if it’s of any help.

Back