What's new
What's new

brown & sharpe spur gear machine?

D.D.Machine

Stainless
I talked to a guy last night about a old B&S spur gear machine, it sounds like it uses involute cutters like a gear cutter for a mill and cuts a tooth at a time then indexes to the next tooth... has anyone got any info on them?

I googled it and came up empty
Thanks
duffy

You need to search "Brown & Sharpe Auto Gear Cutter". There may have been others but I know for sure that they made a #6 and a #13 machine. Here is a photo of a #6.

~Joel H.

Attachments

• bs6.jpg
    bs6.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 3,820
Kevin, that's a neat video. I own a D.E. Whiton gear cutter that I rescued from an abandoned aluminum foundry a few years back. It operates pretty much the same way. It holds the blanks in a vertical (relative to axis) position. Here is a scan of a Whiton gear cutter. What's neat about the Brown & Sharpe and others like it is that it can use standard involute cuttters. - You don't have to break the bank buying hobs.

~Joel H.

Attachments

• Whiton.jpg
    Whiton.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,758
HPIM1089.jpg

I have over 330 involute cutters
DP from 1 to 6
most 14 1/2 pa
some 20 pa
some bevel cutters

I will sell individual cutters if I do not have to brake up a set

[email protected]

I have a #13, sitting under a portable garage. It cuts spur and bevel gears. Haven't attempted do do anything with it yet, but thought it might be nice to have. Supposed to be able to cut spur gears of 18" diameter and some nice sized bevel gears. There is some info in older B&S catalogs, but the so called manuals aren't any better than "professional" lathe manuals. "They" the manufacturers, think you already know how to use most machines already. I have a "loose" copy of the "manual" and like I said, its not really good for the average Joe. I got some cutters, but not a lot. Be nice to have bevel cutters, but no money at this time.

Kevin: I also have the copy of B&S Treatise on Gears. It discusses the subject there too.
This machine was actually used as far as I know to make bevel gears for a large company by an old timer, now dead, who ran his own shop, perhaps within the last 25 years. It must be able to do a passable job. I also have the setover gage, so this kindof follows the practice for cutting bevel gears on a milling machine. I do believe there is perhaps a handful of these machins still out there. Greg Vasale

As has been discussed in many sections of this forum, you can cut a bevel gear that is sufficient for a knee crank mechanism or other low speed, relatively light duty use, but bevel gears cut with horizontal mills and involute cutters are a close estimation that just will not work well without majorfiling, bluing, handworking and running in. Gleasons cut real bevel gears.

kenin that gear planer is realy sweet. but how hard is it to find one, I only need to do shafts about 2 1/4" dia in 16 to 24 DP

Thats about what I had in mind to do with a crank shaper and a steeper motor on a 4th axis and then on the down feed .

I have a Browne & sharpe 13H rescued from scrapyard in need of resto.
wont get to it for a couple years or more though.
NEED CHANGE GEARS!
-boff

brown & sharpe 13H

gvasale, how big is your manual,have you scanned it?
I have none for my 13H and would be interested in seeing one.
I have a centering attachment and changegear chart kindly donated
by another forum member,but thats it.Haven't found much about them.
no clue how to use it,needs restored,but there it is.
--boff

Mebfab:

The Brown and Sharpe #44 was a spur gear hobbing machine introduced in mid-1920s.
Production seems to have ended in the late 1930s with maybe a total of 150 machines
being built. Sizewise, the Gould and Eberhardt #24H gear hobbing machine would be
the best match to the #44. The 24H was designed to cut both spur and helical gears with the following specifications: Spur gear face = 14 inches, 45 degree Helical face = 10inches, maximum diameter spur gear with outboard support = 16 inches, maximum diameter spur gear without outboard support = 27 inches, net weight = 8,150lbs. IIRC the arbor diameter is 1-1/4 inches. The 24H is very similar to my Reinecker Universal Hobbing Machine equipped with a differential.

Hendeyman

Brown & Sharpe #44 Gear Hobbing Machine

Greetings to all from Herring Cove(Nova Scotia)

I am in the process of rescuing a B & S #44 Hobbing Machine

I actually owned this same machine from 1997 to 2001.

I bought it in Dennis, MA. In the 4 years I had it, I used it to make 9 gears.

The machine is serial number 4, and I believe the it was built in 1907. It has a huge stack of change gears(4 sets, for 1. spindle speed, 2. feed rate, 3. helix angle, and 4. indexing the number of teeth).

It can make Spur and Helical gears up to 20" dia.

I was told it worked from then until 1965 in a GE plant in MA.
When the man who operated it retired, he bought the machine and took it home to start a small gear business of his own. He never got it set up, so the machine was on an extended vacation for 32 years!!

When I first tried it, I had a customer for a pair of 16 DP gears with 26 teeth. Seems like a small job for a machine that can make gears up to 20" dia. Anyway, they came out perfect on the first try, to everyone's amazement(including mine).

I have a photocopy of the user's manual, which I would be happy to share.

IMHO, this is a wonderful machine, and I definitely look forward to having it come home.

BTW, if anyone has hobs with a 1.25" bore, I may be interested.

RGDS

Errol Pierce

many ways to cut gears and threads

It seems to me from many hours of research lately, there were many companies making machines for gear and threading.
I have still been unable to close the gap on the tooling I recently saved from going to the foundry, maybe someone here has some answers.
The gear hobs, shaper cutters, etc. were no brainers but these thread milling cutters mentioned as multiple thread, serration, form relieved, have me going in circles.
In an old machinery handbook, some gears appear to be measured in threads per inch like worm, spiral and helix.
Machines called thread mills which look like lathes with a driven device at the saddle holding the cutter, are still being used today and the india market has many version being produced and some of these are very big and long.
I have compiled a list of 166 lots of tooling that has some of these pictured if anyone could enlighten me, I would be in your debt.
machinery for sale pictures by dt38k - Photobucket

I talked to a guy last night about a old B&S spur gear machine, it sounds like it uses involute cutters like a gear cutter for a mill and cuts a tooth at a time then indexes to the next tooth... has anyone got any info on them?

I have the B&S No.4 36" and it is in full and complete operating condition. Only missing a a couple feed gears in the inter-change set and a 100 tooth gear in the indexer set. It had a 440 volt 3 ph motor and I'm changing that out with a like size (5hp) 220 3 ph. and I should be in operation. Love to watch that indexer "clock works" do it's stuff. All mechanical, no digital in there!

If you need anymore info, let me know. I have found several old books that discussed it or very similar machines for spur gear cutting.

Steve

Here are some links I found to articles about gear cutting and and advert. for Brown and Sharpe gear cutters in 1922 issues of Machinery
Commercial Gear Cutting practice .
Machinery
Planing Large Spur Gears
Machinery
Brown and Sharpe gear Cutting Machine Ads
Machinery
I did a search and thought I would add them to this thread since they might be of interest to those who posted here.
Regards,
Jim

Back