What's new
What's new

Table screw/nut backlash .040

challenger

Stainless
I'm finishing up, or maybe not, the conversion of my Burke #3--->#4 mill. I found that the table X axis screw & nut are worn to the point of .040" backlash. I am hoping the as long as I don't do any up milling it will be good because I don't feel motivated to spend the time & $ to repair it. I do have a vertical attachment I'd like to use so maybe this will have me thinking about taking a step or ten in reverse.

Any recommendations???

Thanks-Howard

As per some suggestions I made a!"modifications to the acme nut that the X screw is mated with. I used a method that Popper into my head as I read some information about slicing the nut and spreading a section apart for a quick & dirty fix. After I sliced the nut about 2/3 through 1/4" from one end I spread it apart with a putty knife. Then I put the screw in it and it was snug in the most worn part of the screw. Then I took my Turbo acetylene torch, after cleaning the area, and heated the nut/screw. I tinned the heated area and let a fair amount of solder flow into the slit and down into the threads. As it cooled I kept filling to slot with solder. I know the lead will wear away I no time but there is nearly zero backlask now and even when the solder wears off the screw/nut the solder will keep the slit open and tighter. Of course a replacement will be the ultimate fix but I'd like comments on my solder idea.
I was careful to clean up left over flux.

Thanks

Thats a neat trick, I did the same but tapped 2 holes in the 1/4 section of the nut and put grub screws in to jack the cut open. worked well, but i was only dealing with .4mm backlash (.016")

Back