What's new
What's new

Starrett No. 21 Thin Steel Squares

John Madarasz

Stainless
Starrett used to make a full set of these beautiful tools, at one point totaling 7 different sizes...and began limiting the line just before 1940.

Brown and Sharpe also made a nice line of thin steel squares...No. 547. A have a few of each in different sizes...but I would love to be able to say I had a full set of #21's. That would be my pride and joy...

Now Starrett only puts out the 4" x 6" model. and while beautiful it's ungodly expensive to buy new.

These have to be some of the most useful tools in my shop for squaring enclosed inside corners , not to mention all the other ops... why would they discontinue such a useful tool, and why are they so hard to come by??? I've searched far and wide for a decent flat steel square graduated in 32's or better in a 10-12" size, and I can't find one anywhere. The stuff that's available has stamped! grads, is punched with holes, and is of disgraceful quality for fine work.

Does anyone here have a full set??? :drool5:

I don't think I have a full set of either LSS or B & S.... but I do have have a bunch of them from about 1 1/2" to 10".... your right, these are very useful......

Back