What's new
What's new

UNION MFG CO. Lathe Chucks-info needed

Bake915

Plastic
Anybody know anything about union chucks? Specifically, I'm looking for a 4" 3-jaw chuck with model # 363-K, with ASJ stamped under that model number. Jaws and back of chuck marked B354. Anyone know how to decipher these numbers so I can find the same or similar chuck?

My understanding is that union mfg co. used to supply chucks for hardinge? The above chuck was used on a Pratt & Whitney dividing head for their 3C milling machine.

Thanks for your help

I have a few Union chucks and yes, Hardinge did provide them for their lathes at one time. Most of mine have Hardinge taper mount backs.

I have a couple of 4" 3-jaw Union chucks for adapter plate mount.

One is marked STEEL (body material) 4 IN. (diameter) No. 93-K (model) H477 (serial number). There is a number 47 that could be the date (1947) or just an employee/inspection code. It has solid jaws and, as usual, the extra set is lost. But the chuck is in near new condition.

The other is marked 36304 (model) E705 (serial number). It has a number 63, which could stand for 1963 or be employee/inspection code. It appears to have a steel body, but is not marked steel. It has two-piece jaws, an unusual feature on a 4 inch chuck, and is also in near new condition.

Larry

DSC01623.jpgDSC01624.jpgDSC01625.jpgDSC01626.jpgDSC01627.jpg

I have several 12-18" steel Union chucks and they all appear quality pieces. I doubt any of them are newer than the war.

Back