What's new
What's new

Burrell Museum - Machine Tools

Asquith

Diamond

Charles Burrell & Sons of Thetford, Norfolk, England. Established 1770, moved into St Nicholas Works in 1803, ceased production there in 1929 during the depression. Most famous for their showman’s traction engines.

The Charles Burrell Museum is a small museum in the centre of Thetford, housed in the former paintshop. Several other of the works buildings have survived.

I’ll start with this radial arm drilling machine made by John Spencer & Co of Keighley, Yorkshire. I have a few more photos of it, in the unlikely event that anyone is interested in its mechanism. The thing with the pointer in Photo 2 looks interesting, presumably a depth indicator.

JD Burrell Thetford07.jpg5JD Burrell Thetford03.jpg6JD Burrell Thetford02.jpg7JD Burrell Thetford04.jpg8

The UP & DOWN lever in Photo 6 works a dog clutch between a pair of bevel gears (see bird's eye view, Photo 3), so the raising and lowering happens suddenly unless the belt drive can be slipped.

JD Burrell Thetford13.jpg12JD Burrell Thetford12.jpg13JD Burrell Thetford11.jpg14JD Burrell Thetford15.jpg15

Photo 12: Small radial arm drill by Lee & Hunt of Nottingham

Photo 13: Slotter by (I think) Sharp, Stewart, Atlas Works, Manchester

Photos 14 & 15: Lathe by Maud & Turner of Halifax, Yorkshire. The carriage handwheel is just visiting.

Limy,

Yes, a rare visit. Many's the time I've drawn a line on the map, shook my head, and thought 'No, I wouldn't start from here to go there'.

It always confused me when folk talked about the St Nicholas Works. Didn't know whether they meant Burrel's or Savage's!

had many visits to the latter as a kid, since father's firm used half of their site in the '60s-'70s

Allan - good idea. I used the old-fashioned stairs, though.

JD Burrell Thetford01.jpg
The museum/Burrell's paint shop.

JD Thetford08.jpg
A short walk away is this 1829 iron bridge. Castings were made by Burrell. Now guarded by Captain Mainwaring, defender of Walmington-on-Sea against the Hun

JD Burrell Thetford17.jpg
Between the bridge and the museum is a statue of some bloke called Thomas Paine, born 100 yds away. I wonder what happened to him? ;-) His iron bridge design didn't catch on, I know that.

Last edited:
A man living downhill from Samuel Clemens' study should realize Common Sense is uncommon. Paine's version or any other. (Asquith, are you antagonizing us colonials on purpose?)

Always liked these radial drills driven from a single source. All those shafts and gears. Thanks for the pictures.

They are good photos, interesting gear.
The lathe cross slide handle ( and lathe ) is similar to one in the shop i did my trade in.
It was very old we converted it to a welding lathe for buildups etc. I didn't know its date of manufacture.
The shop was passed down through the same family for several generations.

I always wonder how they got such tight tolerances with such a small dial which had coarse markings not helping things any and of course using carbon steel tools and later high speed ones.

Have you been to the science museum in london? thats pretty good to.

May like to Spray some long life protectant on those artefacts so they don't rust up, ask permission to see if you can then you can say you done something to preserve them if no one else bothers about it.
Won't cost too much and give you a good feeling to do so.

thank you.

Regarding the 'position indicator' in Photo 2, I now see that the groove between the 1 inch and the eighths graduations contains a moveable striker to knock off the automatic feed.

"The UP & DOWN lever in Photo 6 works a dog clutch between a pair of bevel gears...." In that same photograph, what is the rust-colored perforated iron box? A motor housing? From the picture, it looks as though it might be a workpiece in the process of being drilled. It doesn't appear to be attached in any way to the slotted bed it is sitting on.

Excellent post, Asquith, with your usual high quality and informative photographic documentation.

Incidently, although this is off topic, I though I would mention that I just returned from London, where I visited the Kirkaldy testing and experimental works you drew our attention to a few weeks ago. A unique, fascinating, and undeservedly little known treasure. I'll try to post some additional comments as an addition to your Kirkaldy thread as soon as I get post-trip matters sorted out.

-Marty-

In that same photograph, what is the rust-colored perforated iron box? A motor housing? From the picture, it looks as though it might be a workpiece in the process of being drilled. It doesn't appear to be attached in any way to the slotted bed it is sitting on.

It's a traction engine boiler firebox inner shell that has been painted with red oxide primer.

Thanks for sharing Asquith ...

Can't think of how many times I've been stuck in summer traffic queues through Elveden Forest (prior to the new by-pass) when I could have nipped into the Burrell works.

Note to self: Check out next month ;)

John (Jersey/Beccles) :typing:

Marty - Traction engine firebox, as Mark said.
I'll look forward to your findings at the Kirkaldy testing museum.

Jersey John - I assume you've visited the 'Long Shop' Museum at Leiston (housed in part of Garrett's works). Some early lathes there, including the oldest Whitworth machine tool known to me. Also, if you like iron bridges, there's 'St Olave's Bridge' between Beccles and Gt Yarmouth (1848 bowstring bridge with cast iron arches and wrought iron chains).

Burrells were St Nicholas Works. Savages were St Nicholas Iron Works.
It always confused me when folk talked about the St Nicholas Works. Didn't know whether they meant Burrel's or Savage's!

had many visits to the latter as a kid, since father's firm used half of their site in the '60s-'70s

Back