What's new
What's new

Buying a Walker Turner Drill Press

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Ran across this in my travels, and the guy is wanting $500.

I've never seen a "drill press" this beastly with a dovetail column for the table, and a leadscrew for Z adjustment. It's almost an R-8 short of being a small mill.

I have no idea the model, and have been unable to locate anything Walker-Turner of this caliber on the net.

Here's a picture of the drill press. Thoughts and comment appreciated. I really enjoy old iron, and this doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.

Specs that I know of:

Single Phase, step pulleys for speed, 1/2" chuck, coolant channels on table, dovetail column

Thanks for any and all help

Ran across this in my travels, and the guy is wanting $500.

I've never seen a "drill press" this beastly with a dovetail column for the table, and a leadscrew for Z adjustment. It's almost an R-8 short of being a small mill.

I have no idea the model, and have been unable to locate anything Walker-Turner of this caliber on the net.

Here's a picture of the drill press. Thoughts and comment appreciated. I really enjoy old iron, and this doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.

Specs that I know of:

Single Phase, step pulleys for speed, 1/2" chuck, coolant channels on table, dovetail column

Thanks for any and all help

Grab it ... and growl if anyone tries to take it away from you!

Most W-T are so much lighter they are classed as "woodworking" DP. They aren't (only).

My smaller early 1940's benchtop one was but $90, early 1970's, lives on a diet of steel more than anything else, still makes good holes.

Knock wood, anyway, as I have about four dozen 3/8" & 1/2" holes to drill in 1/2" thick A36 by Saturday AM.

They punch enough above their apparent weight that Kearney & Trecker bought and owned them for a time.

This one is rather rare, and much stronger than their average round-column-only ones.

It's probably worth the $500 if you're in the market for a good drill press. Of course if he'd take $450, then it's more likely it would definitely be worth $450.

The head is likely in same realm as any Walker Turner or Clausing, etc. of that design. The column, base, and table will set this one apart though. And likely make up the difference in value.

Interesting machine. I've never seen one either.

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say that it's a standard walker turner drill head on the body of a larger drill press like an Allen or similar. It's still probably a decent machine if you need a drill press, I always find the weak point of them are the stand/table.

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say that it's a standard walker turner drill head on the body of a larger drill press like an Allen or similar. It's still probably a decent machine if you need a drill press, I always find the weak point of them are the stand/table.

X2 - by no means an expert, but that type base is indicative of an earlier generation of DPs; it doesn't look like any W-T I've ever seen. A close examination of where the column mounts to the base might reveal any previous holes.

Avey was another manufacturer of similar base machines.

193952d1489810956-avey-heavy-half-drill-press-avey-automatic-1920-2of2.jpg

jack vines

X2 - by no means an expert, but that type base is indicative of an earlier generation of DPs; it doesn't look like any W-T I've ever seen. A close examination of where the column mounts to the base might reveal any previous holes.

Avey was another manufacturer of similar base machines.

jack vines

Blazemaster and Packard V8,

Thank you for your expertise. It sure does look close compared to the picture you posted. People like you and posts like this make me glad that PM exists, as I would have never known where else to look or ask for info.

To all,

I definitely did jump on this deal with both steel-toed feet. Worked the price down a bit, and will pick it up next week. No play whatsoever in the spindle, table is in fair condition, and zero vibration in the unit when running. Dead quiet as well - no belts slapping or odd sounds.

I will post some pictures next week. Would proper protocol be to use this existing thread to post pictures, or create a new one?

Thank you to each and every one of you for your input on this machine. Every reply was read, and appreciated.

Blazemaster and Packard V8,

Thank you for your expertise. It sure does look close compared to the picture you posted. People like you and posts like this make me glad that PM exists, as I would have never known where else to look or ask for info.

To all,

I definitely did jump on this deal with both steel-toed feet. Worked the price down a bit, and will pick it up next week. No play whatsoever in the spindle, table is in fair condition, and zero vibration in the unit when running. Dead quiet as well - no belts slapping or odd sounds.

I will post some pictures next week. Would proper protocol be to use this existing thread to post pictures, or create a new one?

Thank you to each and every one of you for your input on this machine. Every reply was read, and appreciated.

Agree it isn't like any W-T I've seen, either. Mindful of some of the features of a Fosdick and certain other Nordic country goods, rather. Also the "Wolf" DP had similarities. Anyway, glad to hear that you bought it!

Same thread should do UNLESS.. a show-and-tell of a major rebuild is undertaken. Condition so far of this one doesn't sound as if you will need to do that.

Agree it isn't like any W-T I've seen, either. Mindful of some of the features of a Fosdick and certain other Nordic country goods, rather. Also the "Wolf" DP had similarities. Anyway, glad to hear that you bought it!

Same thread should do UNLESS.. a show-and-tell of a major rebuild is undertaken. Condition so far of this one doesn't sound as if you will need to do that.

Would love to see more pics. A very interesting machine. I do think it is a W-T head on another stand... but wow what a stand!!!

Pictures!

Well, here's a few pictures for you guys. Got it all set up and it runs pretty smooth. Built a nice handle to raise and lower the table, and it works great for all manner of drilling. Let me know what you think about the base and the whole setup. Also, considering a VFD or some sort of variable speed motor to get rid of most all the belts and brackets on the back, so any recommendations are appreciated.

IMG_0521_result.jpg
IMG_0524_result.jpg
IMG_0525_result.jpg
IMG_0526_result.jpg

Hey all recently got a WT DP. I been around machines for more that 30 yr. I am impressed. Need so help identifying year model etc. NO serial # floor model no crank on column and only 5 speed. Still thinks it is a great machine. Drill had bad run out so removed drill chuck and the taper for the chuck was dinged up bad. Stoned taper and still have .020 run out using indicator on taper. Should I look for bearings in machine or is the .020 the best that I can expect.?????????

I have a 1-944 drill press and as far as I know it’s 100% original not missing anything ( even cord is old 2 prong). I use this drill press weekly, my question is , should I not be using is it rare and worth money? It’s a little big for what I need it for, and am thinking of selling bc it’s going to take up to much room for what I need. I received all my grandfathers tools he bought brand new in early 40’s and I use them constantly! U can not get quality like that today, these tools are over 80 years old and work amazing.

Somebody took a W-T drill press head off of a multi head machine and installed it onto that base. It's not unusual to see setups like that in industrial settings. I've been to a quite a few machine shop auctions where a set-up like that is being sold. One shop had a four head Leland-Gifford drill press where only the base and two of the heads were original. The other two heads were a Wilton and, IIRC, a Delta Rockwell. No matter. At the end of the day it will still drill holes. Congrats. You just happen to have a much better base than what originally came with the W-T drill press.

Ra.kessler--how are you measuring the runout? You should certainly be doing better than .020. Measuring at the taper or with chuck on and a bit in the chuck?

Rwf77--W/T's are certainly great old drill presses but not rare collectors' items. They should be used for their intended purpose, kept clean and lubricated and they will be fine.

Tom B.

Back