What's new
What's new

C.A.Mann lathe

Bret Rochotte

Cast Iron
I've been cleaning up this lathe I bought from 47Nomad, a Charles A. Mann with rise and fall cross slide, made in Providence Rhode Island between 1885 and 1905. Overall the lathe is in pretty good shape but does have wear on the bed and scoring on the spindle journals. One tooth has been repaired very nicely on the back gear pinion, the cross slide screw is decent but the cast iron nut could stand replacement. The screw is 1/2" dia. 8 pitch left hand square thread. As Tony at lathes.co.uk says this lathe is "utterly conventional design" with a rise and fall cross slide. Everything came apart easily except the right hand pivot screw for the rise and fall. I think there is swarf jammed in the threads and I did not want to push it too hard as it was not necessary to remove it all the way. The lathe was originally black, I found black paint under the dealer's tag and under the grime on the headstock was no green paint. It looked pretty bad when I cleaned it up so I repainted the headstock black but decided to leave the rest of it green for now. I kind of like the shade, and the contrasting colors may grow on me also. All the change gears are black. I think the tapers are Jarno 5 but have not verified that yet.

CAMann_1.jpg

An interesting item was included with the lathe, it looks like a craftsman made or previous owner (Chas. Y. Miller) made a compound slide that fits over the lantern tool post for advancing the cut when threading. Included are some pictures that show how it is constructed. The screw is 20 pitch left hand thread and the dial has 25 graduations, so each mark advances the tool .002. If anyone is interested I will post more pictures.

compound_3.jpgcompound_2.jpgcompound_1.jpg

Bret

Last edited:
Ha, You the Mann! The lathe has cleaned up very nicely.

I really like the idea of a compound feed attachment. Some one had a good idea. I assume it only suitable for very light work. I think would have been better to have something held solidly instead of by the tool post. I mean the same way tool post grinder is held. I wonder if there was ever a factory version?

I meant to say if someone was to design a custom (removable)compound for this type of (rise fall)lathe it would be better if it slid in solidly into the slot where the tool post goes. The way yours was made is too easy for it to spin around. The pictures of that other machine is a permanent modification. Thats not what I mean. I mean something that went on like an aloris or a grinder. A clever person could design or modify a compound that would slide in where the tool post goes. And then be removed just as quick as any other tool post or tool.

Hope this makes sense.

I do like what you have as a collector item, very clever.

Peter
my 1895 reed 14 in was built w/out a compound & has "rise & fall" ....due to the xtraslide underneath the x slide , which when ungibbed & moved forward attaches to the shoe on the taper attachment ,there is only abt one in to centerline...so i made a side saddle compound ( dovetails are vertical ) which bolts to the T slot , as you suggested .i tested it & worked just ifne .....i have never used it ...w/ gooseneck threading tool holder the treads i cut are clean ....biggest problem is using a thread stop or REMEMBERING /writing down where to return the thrd tool ....
again w/ the gooseneck I can plunge cut a point @ 140 rpm,w/ a 3/8 flat bit to set up fro between center work truing up a point in the 12 in 4 jaw .....
FWIW ...the minimum belt feed is 7 thou ...i made an xtra hanger & compound gears to get abt one & 1/2 thou using lead screw ....when i took finish cuts w/ the shear grind shaper bit set at abt 65 deg from the horizontal , ,abt 3 thou doc, all feed lines disappear ...And again , i have never used the lead screw slo feeds ....just rediscovering "old truths"
best wishes
doc

PS the Reed is still orangeish red ...kinda brightens the dungeon......just dont want to repaint what is still a decent finish ( someone in california originally stripped it & painted )

Bret-
I registered at OWWM forums and will check the thread when I get approval. I have seen the CA Mann page at Tony's website, that's how I originally came to the Mann conclusion. It would seem that mine is a later model.
  • No nameplate on the thread chart
  • Rounded, rather than squared off, bearing caps
  • Much more complex and rounded looking headstock, but with similar styling
  • Forward/reverse handle sticks out from the front of the ways, rather than swinging vertically on the back of the headstock
  • Tailstock and apron seem identical
  • MT2 headstock and tailstock, although I think this is a lather modification
Mine has a later style cross slide which lacks rise and fall. I'm OK with this, as this lathe will be used regularly with HSS on some mild alloys and stainless. No power cross feed on mine. I'll have to get some pictures over to Tony.

Back