What's new
What's new

Camel Back Drill ID, and a housekeeping issue

roachie

Plastic
I'm having trouble ID'ing this old drill. The only info is a pair of brass nameplates that say "A.B. Pitkin Company" and "Dexter 4 Drill". Thought it would be worth sharing as the quill feed is unusual compared to the others I've seen. Oddly has a 3MT spindle, honestly expected 4 just from the look of it. Any info is welcome, and yes it does work, though I'm working on a paint job and some other tweaks to make it less homely looking. Also, is 250rpm about right for the input power on the drive system?

23905478_1462522157135587_6144969100918112205_n.jpg

I also acquired an old Kearny & Trecker KH #2 plain from the same seller. Both of these machines had set for about 15 year (owner retired) and as a result, the cutting oil in the sump of this machine is less than liquid. Suggestions on how to clean it out are very welcome. A bucket of purple power poured in and soaking for a few weeks is the best idea I've had yet.

the cutting oil in the sump of this machine is less than liquid. Suggestions on how to clean it out are very welcome.
Scrape out what you can. Rent a steam cleaner (boiling water pressure washer, not a carpet cleaner) and procure a bunch of long brushes (radiator brushes or maybe 1" pipe brushes mounted on appropriate sticks or bent rod) to scrub any crevasses where the spray won't reach. Makes a Godawful mess, so cover surroundings with painters' plastic, but is fast. Obviously, follow with thorough drying.

Probably remnants of soluble .. Scrape, Steam Clean, Pressure Wash, what ever you have to do then get some good light bodied cutting oil and NEVER put water in that sump again! Ramsay 1:)

UPDATE:

After some cleaning and a chance find at an antique store, I have determined this is a 24" Dexter Drill. Judging purely from the font on the brass tag and some other details, I'm assuming this is pre 1920.

Back