What's new
What's new

Can anyone help id this part on my 70's Rockwell lathe ?

What size lathe is it? I've got a 14 inch from about the same period.
I'll try to get out and look at mine tomorrow

Has yours had the "modification" of the vari drive, from the crank to the lever to change speed?

I'll try to get my son to take a pic of the tumbler box.............he has a smart phone and will take a better pic than my flip phone.

Are they a screw in or press fit? Looks like you could just make new ones, if they are removable. Make them where you can put oilite bushings in them, that way you can just press a new bushing in if they wear again. Looks like the smaller one is horrifically worn.

That really worn hole looks like the one the leadscrew turns in, the other one has a hex shaft that runs in it..............the large hole below the two bushings has nothing in it.

The piece or pieces in the picture has a integral gear cut on the opposite end that is hidden in the gear box. The piece rides in a needle bearing that is pressed into the gear box housing. The slots in the end is for holding the .093" dia. shear pin that is in a cross hole in the feed rod and lead screw. This pin is trapped in place by a flat "C" shaped ring that fits in the groove of the piece in the gear box. The only way to get this piece out of the gear box is by dismantling all of the parts from the inside. Then this part is pushed into the gear box for removal. The integral gear is preventing this from being removed from the outside.

Personally, I think both of these parts are functional as they are. May need some edges broken down a little. Like I said, it only holds the shear pin in place. The feed screw and lead screw shaft will run fine in the bushings contained.

Oh, I forgot to mention, there is a Truarc retaining ring holding these pieces from being removed out of the gear box. His picture doesn't show the retaining rings in place, or they are there, just so much crud covering them up.

Ken

Here is something that might be of interest..............kind of pricey, but it would be nice to have.

Delta Rockwell 14-inch Lathe Complete Data Pack | store.lathes.co.uk

From what I see, Delta doesn't support the Rockwells, so parts are not readily available

I bought that complete data pack from him. It's about $80 USD, but well worth it if you don't have a manual for the lathe.

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine and have offered to create and provide drawings to some of the parts on this lathe to geardoc. I do have a spare leadscrew for him and be willing to make a feed rod for him.

As far as I know, there are no know sources for parts for these lathes other than standard bearings and bushings

Might be worth while to buy one of the older lathes I see on eBay for around $1500 to use for parts. Be worth it in just a few parts if you had to get them made today. Ken

Back