What's new
What's new

Cardiff lathe gearbox pipe

AndrewH

Plastic
Hello, I have recently bought a Cardiff 17" lathe. It hasn't been used for some time and needs a good clean, but seems sound. However, I have noticed a copper pipe coming from the top of the main gearbox which has been closed over. I have the manual but can't see this pipe in any drawing. Can someone tell me where this is supposed to go and its purpose.
Thanks. I have attached a couple of photos to show lathe and pipe.

Attachments

• IMGP0244.jpg
    IMGP0244.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • IMGP0246.jpg
    IMGP0246.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 384
  • IMGP0247.jpg
    IMGP0247.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 313
I've worked on " Cardiff " lathes before but they were the type without the gearbox in the base of the machine. The later machines that came out when " Elliot " had bought them out had a conventional headstock gearbox arrangement.

I'd go with Sami and say it could be a gearbox breather pipe that somebody didn't like the look of and folded the pipe over.
I've also worked on other machines with that type of self contained gearbox you've got and I can't say I recall any breather pipes to be honest.

Regards Tyrone.

Could be a gravity feed from one of the gearbox or headstock oil galleries to lubricate upper gears or bearings in the gearbox. http://www.lathes.co.uk/elliott/index.html says its a pump fed lubrication system for headstock and screwcutting box, also has a picture of the innards of that gearbox. Looks as if oil pump is on front bottom of the gearbox with a feed going up to the head and screwcutting box. Assuming larger pipe is return its relatively low, going to middle of box, so if the gearbox is also the reservoir the oil level won't be that high so gear splash may not be enough to get oil into the upper bearings. With pump replenished oil bath lubrication for the headstock and pump feed to the gearbox arranging a gravity drip is a simple way to get a bit more lubrication to the top of the box.

Look for a blanked off plug in bottom of headstock or gearbox to verify or disprove the idea.

Clive

Back