What's new
What's new

Carroll Jamieson parts saved from scrap

Bru

Plastic
On a recent visit to a nearby junkyard shopping for angle iron, I found a badly damaged Carroll Jamieson lathe. I made a couple of additional trips to pull off what parts I could, since the lathe was not salvageable as a whole, and it was headed for the pile to be chopped up and recycled in the lowest form. Odds of my ever needing or using mony of these parts are pretty low, but I hated to see them melted to make Pacific Rim disposable tools.

This lathe (and I will attempt to attach a pic or two) carried a nameplate reading:
A.V. CARROLL, U.S.PATENT
No. 975748, Nov.15, 1910
SERIAL NO. 486

The gearchange plate was so beaten up that all that remains legible is: "Carroll Jamieson"

The motor, motor mount, and upper drive pulley set were long gone. I have the chuck, and plan to keep that. The quick change gears (11 of them) are spoken for. I do still have, with mostly bent or broken or missing handles and some bolts missing, the following:

Cross-slide assembly
Apron assembly
Spindle with 3-pulley drive and some gears ( I am still struggling to remove the chuck backplate, which I intend to keep)
Lead screw, which is about 8' long
The tailstock body and whatever parts are frozen inside

There was enough greasy sludge on most of the machine to protect parts not directly exposed to snow and rain, or where water seepage was blocked. I did have to scrape a good bit of rust off the innards of the chuck before reassembling it.

If any one needs any of these parts, please PM me. They are all too heavy for me to try to crate and ship, but I can find some corner in which to hold for pickup for a while.

I am in southern Illinois, about 40 miles south of the intersection of I-57 and I-64, approx 100 miles East of St Louis, Mo, 80 miles North of Paducah, KY, or 90 miles West of Evansville, IN; 300+ miles south of Chicago.

Attachments

• cropped lathe entire.jpg
    cropped lathe entire.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,333
  • cropped steady rest.jpg
    cropped steady rest.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 678
  • recropped tailstock.jpg
    recropped tailstock.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 589
  • cropped 2 headstock w chuck.jpg
    cropped 2 headstock w chuck.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 629
C&J LAthe parts

Hello Bru Plastic
I could use the Tailstock, for my C&J lathe. I know this an old post but I'm desperate.

Well, as things go, I wound up with a 1915-patent Carroll Jamieson lathe, filthy but mostly complete. Got a bunch of spares from a guy in California who was headed my way with a truck. Still have available most of the parts listed in original post.
Also have acquired a 1910 model Champion 20" drill press. Would cheerfully consider MT2 or MT3 larger diameter drill bits in part trade for some of parts above.

Hey what’s spindle thread is you machine and is it tapered mine measures 2.130 and almost 2 1/4 at the end of the threads at 8tpi

Back