What's new
What's new

New yard ornament

Craig Donges

Stainless
Greetings all;

I figured I'd show you guys, no one around here cares. Nice old 1930 ish sand squeezer that followed me home. Believe it or not, these are still available new, $30,000.00.

Looks good sitting in my front yard. Maw and Paw Kettle have nothin' on me!

Craig Donges
IMG_1610.jpg

Circular badge...

Hi Craig,

The circular badge on the rocker arm (?) has SPO or SPC on it. Any idea of the maker? Pretty cool chunk of iron. :drool5: Oh, what's the weight BTW? Can't read the scale. 260-ish?

Jim

Wow, that was quick! I thought 260 was wayyy light, but I don't know how the Toledoe's are made or used one enough to know how they read.

"I like things heavy",.....amen. Ceptin' my women's (I'm probably gonna catch grief for that...). :D

Jim

I didn't want to bruise your feelings yet again, but since you brought it up, when I had the foundry I had an Osborn jolt squeeze that weighed a good bit more than 1,263 lbs. Here it is sitting at the rear of the molding area.

Okay, everyone please forgive my blatant ignorance.........but what the heck is a sand squeezer?

A wild guess: used for compressing the sand contained in the cope and drag of a mold??? Sure seems like over kill.

In any case, looks like just the gizmo to "compact" a Dagwood sandwich!

You got it right, it squeezes and compacts the molding sand around the pattern but is not overkill. In the greensand molding method the sand is held together by clay and a bit of moisture. By compacting the sand the mold becomes stronger. Weakly compacted sand will let molten metal go places that you don't want it to go.

That looks just like the one we used a Kent State in the foundary. I have a bronze hammer I made that I use constantly. Most folks are suprised to here that I made that. It was one of the only pieces I ever did in green sand. We also did lost foam, K bond (like petro bond but uses synthetic oil so it smokes far less. Developed at KSU) and air curing epoxy. I liked the epoxy the best. It gave nice pieces.

Mike :cool:

Back