What's new
What's new

Available: BIG New Haven and Cinn shaper

George Andreasen

Stainless
Moderator: This probably should be in the classified section..if so please move. I just wanted everyone here to see it first.

I called on an ad in our monthly Western Antique Iron Trader that just said "Lathe and shaper, over 100 years old. Will take scrap value rather than send to China and end up in Walmart" The gentleman I talked to is sincere about getting these to someone who will save and enjoy them, plus he is a rust nut. Both are overhead belt machines and are mechanically very good. Lathe will hold to .002", probably better with some tweaking.

New Haven lathe, 30" x 10' between centers, steady rest, follower rest, faceplate, change gears, wrenches all original to the machine.

Cinn. shaper, 24" with vise.

Both machines stored inside. He also has another 20" shaper with an auto downfeed, but couldn't remember the two part name off hand. Its condition is rougher than the other two, but perfectly restorable according to him. Since I don't have the room for anything this big, I offered to describe it on this site along with his contact info. He admits to not being very computer literate...in fact he may not even have one. He will send photos by mail to interested parties if asked. He said he would like to get about $1000.00 for both, but he sounded flexible to me.

Bruce Heppler (707) 983-9147

This is in Covelo California, a small town in the coastal range. Might be a long twisty highway trip to get there from what I remember of the area.

That New Haven is similar to one that sat outside of Brentwood Machine in Brentwood, Cow Hampshire for a good long time. Finally I saw that it was gone and asked Norm, the shop owner about it.

"Where'd the big New Haven go?"

"You like that? It was sold to a client who has a use for it."

"Well, yes, I like that but I don't have room for such a beast. I'm surprised you found a buyer as it's been outside for a long time and it's SOO big."

"There are buyers for such things. This buyer was actually going to use it and with the large swing, it met his needs. And it's nice that such a large, old lathe is going to survive." (Aha! A kindred spirit.) "But it did sit a long time."

And here is the key. A buyer will be found, providing the present owner can afford to wait a bit.

The internet exposure will help.

Best,
Joe in NH

Puh, Puh, Planer???

What??? There was a planer within one day's drive and I missed it??? Oh, well.......it went to a appreciative home anyway. What size was it?

I enjoyed talking to him. He seems to be typical of everyone with an interest in older tools and machinery...polite, straight forward and honest. Believe me if I had the room I'd be scheming on that New Haven. After all, the wife doesn't need THAT many Christmas presents...............

George,

Yes, last spring he posted the lathe and shaper in the Antique Iron Trader. I called him and told him I had a lathe and shaper, but what I was really looking for was a planer and asked if he knew where one was. He said he had one of those also and so I bought it. Its a Gray from around 1895 or so, it will plane 26" X 26" X 72". It is in imaculate condition. Buy the way it is a days drive for me also.

Jay

Back