What's new
What's new

Hand Scraping Class taught by Forrest Addy

drzipper

Hot Rolled
For any of you who may not have seen this thread in the General section:
Hand Scraping Class Tauugt By Forrest Addy - Seattle Area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hand Scraping Class

Teacher: Forrest Addy

Date: 2/28 and 3/1

Length of Class: two eight hour days including lunch

Projected Cost: Approx $250 (including lunch)

Deposit: At this point payment in full is required

Size of Class: 20– 30 students (so far, 20 signed up so far)

Location, South SeattleCommunity College ib=n the Welding Class room

Course work:
The two day seminar teaches basic scraping and starts a cast iron project piece that when finished at home yields a set of four 1-2-3 blocks that are to size, square, and parallel to 0.0001" The focus is towards preparing the student and developing in him the hand skills to where he has the basics to consider reconditioning of a first project machine tool.

Tools and Materials:
Forrest will provide all scraping tools, iron stock for 1-2-3 blocks, surface plates for spotting, Prussian blue, one Biax machine and many other tools and materials (I will send a follow-up list of what Forrest will bring and what we need). That said if you have scraping tools bring them.

After the class,
Forrest will sell scrapers, granite surface plates, and other supplies at or near cost to attendees who want them. He will provide CD’s with his technical writings, printed materials, hand-outs, etc as part of the course these materials are included as part of your attendee’s fee.

Please contact (PM) me with any questions

David

1950 +,, all my hand scrapers were made from old files, we took them to the hardening shop, heated the end, and made them roughly half moon shape at the end, we then ground them on the flat surface, the cutting edge we then ground to a angle of around 45 % , these were flat scrapers, we also made internal bore scrapers the same way, heating the old file and forming it on the anvil horn into a curve at the end, and then hollow ground them by hand, i never bought a scraper, in the fitting shop there were always plenty of old files. bodger

Carbide scraper honing machine

Hi all

I took Forests class two years ago when he had it in Kirkland. While my buddy Ratshooter and I were there we took note of Forest scraper honing machine that we used to keep our tools sharp. Check out this flicker site and you can see what the Ratshooter came up with as a really neat tool not only for scrapers but also for keeping a keen edge on a carbide tool of any kind. The wheel is cast iron and we use 1800 and 2200 diamond lapping past rubbed into the wheel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45888076@N00/416836044/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45888076@N00/416836043/in/photostream/

There should be an upcoming article in the Home Shop Machinist magazine on this hone as The Ratshooter rights articles for that magazine. He goes by the name of Tim Clarke.

Turk

Feel free to PM Forrest.

I would think to pay expenses and fly Forrest and his 800lbs of scraping essentials you will need 25-30 students. I organised the class because i want to learn the skill. I didn't expect to have to learn the skill of organising a class, find a venue, find a food vendor, take money etc.

I suggust you buy a ticket and come join us.

David

David,

Per my PM I won't be able to make the class and will be looking forward to another one. Based on my experience with two day courses on various subjects, Forrest's prices are extremely reasonable. Actually downright cheap.

Feel free to PM Forrest.

I would think to pay expenses and fly Forrest and his 800lbs of scraping essentials you will need 25-30 students. I organised the class because i want to learn the skill. I didn't expect to have to learn the skill of organising a class, find a venue, find a food vendor, take money etc.

I suggust you buy a ticket and come join us.

David

so not happening. Obviously there are other people who can teach such a class. If anyone this side of the rockies wants to or can suggest someone, please fill us in.

I'm sorry I really don't know. Perhaps someone else could respond. Or you could PM Forrest, he knows the scraping community

David

Back