What's new
What's new

Century Electric Co. Motor

sprucetop1

Aluminum
Recently purchased a 1920's Milnes lathe made in Bradford UK. The underbench drive motor is a 1/3rd. hp. 230 V single phase repulsion start induction unit manufactured by the Century Electric Co., St. Louis , Mo. This motor is inoperative, and the internal wiring looks to be in poor condition. Does anyone have an idea of the age of this motor, (ser. no. F923712), and any info. about the Century Electric Co. ? I'd like to get the unit overhauled in due course. I attach a pic of one end of the motor as found.......thanks......John

Attachments

• milnes5.jpg
    milnes5.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,411
century motor repair

Century motors are old but very rugged. You may be able to service it yourself.
I suggest you take it apart. The wiring is simple. You should check the windings for short to ground or open coil. If ok, proceed to clean up the machine. You could re-insulate the connection wires if necessary. The starting switching is completely mechanical. There is a centrifugal leverage system that moves a bunch of shorting pieces axially as the motor speed increases. This shorts all the armature coils to make the motor run in induction mode. The linkage may also lift the brushes on the flat commutator. Clean all the parts and be sure there is no grease on the copper parts. The bearings on the Century motors I have seen are bronze sleeve bearings with an oil reservoir. If worn, the bronze bearings can be replaced inexpensively.
Good luck, Hugh

Hugh......THANKS for suggestions re. the Century. I've set the lathe up with another (working) 1/4 hp. motor and put the Century in store pending more information. It looks to be a very well-built unit and well worth getting going. Any idea what happened to the Century Co.......?

Back