What's new
What's new

Charles H Smith Lathe Philadelphia

enginebill

Stainless
I found this on Craigslist. It looks like it was built 1865-1870. It resembles a Worcester built lathe so I don't know if they built it or it was re tagged. All I could find on the company was wood working machinery.
Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Attachments

• charles h smith 1.jpg
    charles h smith 1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 339
  • charles h smith 2.jpg
    charles h smith 2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 264
I'm pretty sure this is a rebadged Lathe & Morse Makers - possibly even Shepard, Lathe & Co

It is virtually identical to my S,L&Co.

To include:
"Moulded" bed full length (difficult to pull from drag/cope)
Rise & fall on a crank handle,
Weighted saddle
Right/Left worm in the apron to change carriage feed direction.
"Flat-Top" tailstock (with replacement hand knob - a common repair for the somewhat easily broken cast iron "T-handle."
Rear-mounted lead screw.
Shape of change gear "knobs" that hold them in place.
Shape of carriage feed knob
Shape of leg cross-stretcher, and where the webbing hits the leg relative to the cross-stretcher (fairly high)

The only feature I see "later" (leading me to Lathe & Morse MAKERS - 1864 to 1871) is the shape of the tailstock on the back-side of the box. Earlier (like mine) has no "ovolo" curve here - my tailstock box curves gracefully in an "S" between the taper slide and the lathe bed -- this one has an "ovalo with detent" shape. A little later and by 1874 L&M changed to their "shelf" modus. This one Middle range on type study.

It seems to have the remains of the original countershaft. Hangers are original(square shifter rod holes), probably also the cone pulley, probably NOT the single clutch which appears to be a later setup and does not utilize a shifter rod/handle in lieu of handle alone..

Best offer is hard to beat - well maybe if you REALLY want the legs to make your $1800 "industrial table."

I hope it goes to an interested home COMPLETE. Certainly among the 1000 oldest lathes extant in the country.

Joe in NH

Looks like its in real nice shape for how old it is. Hopefully it will stay together. It might pop back up again when the second owner (view able in the second picture) passes away and the grand kids have no idea how to turn it on, let alone use it.
Ive answered several Craigslist ads that had the kids/grand kids cleaning out granddads garage. It makes me sad... but at the same time excited to acquire some more tooling and equipment. My standard questions are... What was his name?...Where did he work? After you get the stuff home you find his initials on hand tools.

Back