What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 16" Universal Shaper Date

marka12161

Stainless
We brought this home yesterday. I paid too much for it but It's the right balance of size, features and condition for our purposes.

S/N is 28386. Can anyone tell me date of manufacture? I suspect it's a later model as it has the on/off switch mounted on a box with a switch to engage the ram clutch and brake. It also does not have that oiler that looks like a can on top of the ram. From studying the brochure online, i suspect it is a utility model with the universal table. It does not have a rapid traverse for the table and the base does not extend to the end of the table.

Mark

IMAG0643.jpgIMAG0648.jpgIMAG0647.jpg

Last edited:
Really surprised to see the table not supported on the end on that new of a machine.
The vise is also interesting, with the jaws being offset from center.
Looks real nice though.

I agree with the others, nice looking shaper and shop!

More interesting to me, I have the twin of that shaper's vise sitting on a dolly here. Are the jaws 15" wide? If so, it's an identical twin, although yours looks to be in a little better shape.

Warning, don't try lifting by yourself... ;)

Really surprised to see the table not supported on the end on that new of a machine.
The vise is also interesting, with the jaws being offset from center.
Looks real nice though.

None of the Cincinnati universals had a front support. They explained in their catalogs that, due to their superior design, it wasn't necessary. Still seems like an omission to me, though- theoretically- a universal shaper would see a lighter class of work than a plain shaper.

The offset vise is to allow long stock to be held vertically, next to the table.

Andy

Guys,

Thanks for all the positive comments. The shop is finished in tongue and groove pine. It was basically the least expensive option of all that we considered when we were building the shop. We never really considered any metal product so i don't know how the cost of any of those products would have compared.

Dating Another Cincinnati Shaper But She's Older Than I Am

Should be 1955
Hello Ohio Mike,
I saw you reply to marka12161 this past April about dating his shaper. I've been trying to date mine since I got it last year. S/N is 1472 - yes, only 4 digits. Best guess I can make is late 1800's. Most identifying feature (to me) is that the ways are square, not dovetail.

16" with Backgear

Any help or direction you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Uncle Bob

Serail book only goes back to 1920 and serial 8015

Hello Ohio Mike,
I saw you reply to marka12161 this past April about dating his shaper. I've been trying to date mine since I got it last year. S/N is 1472 - yes, only 4 digits. Best guess I can make is late 1800's. Most identifying feature (to me) is that the ways are square, not dovetail.

16" with Backgear

Any help or direction you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Uncle Bob

Back